PDA

View Full Version : Old LR

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I have about 100 lbs. or so of LR thats been out on my balcony for months now "dry". Basically its been in a dry rubbermaid container.

I want to end up using it again if possible when I set up my new tank.

What would you do to get it live and safe for a tank?

I was thinking of soaking it in RO water for a while and then switching to saltwater. Probably change 100% of the water weekly?

How long do you think it would take to get it cycled again? Will it leach all kinds of phosphates, ect.?

justinl
01-24-2009, 11:40 PM
you basically have base rock. I would just immerse it in buckets or rubbermaids of saltwater, stick in a heater, an airline, a couple pieces of krill and let it stew for 2-3 weeks. no water changes necessary, no freshwater dipping either. I would not add it all into your display all at once at that point though. maybe add by several smaller weekly batches.

Myka
01-25-2009, 12:00 AM
I have about 100 lbs. or so of LR thats been out on my balcony for months now "dry". Basically its been in a dry rubbermaid container. I want to end up using it again if possible when I set up my new tank. What would you do to get it live and safe for a tank? I was thinking of soaking it in RO water for a while and then switching to saltwater. Probably change 100% of the water weekly? How long do you think it would take to get it cycled again? Will it leach all kinds of phosphates, ect.?

Yes it will leach phosphates, and probably ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates as well. I would suggest you "cook" it as outlined in the guide in my signature. I would use saltwater as you would be surprised how much life will have survived the ordeal on your balcony. It really depends on how clean the rock was before it was dried out, but I think you can realistically look at 8-12 weeks of cooking before you're getting 0 readings. After 4-6 weeks I would put a few pieces of good quality live rock in with your old rock to help seed some life (pods n critters) into the rock. Once it's ready for your tank, I would suggest adding a few pieces of cured, coralline covered rock as well to seed the coralline back.