PDA

View Full Version : Caring for plate coral

reef_junkies
01-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Got 2 plate corals about a week ago, the color is just not as vibrant as in the store, didn't know they needed help with feeding, so we just started that today(juice and bits of brine shrimp), also not sure of the location, we have them on the sand in somewhat moderate current and in full light of the 14k's and also have 2 t5's. Maybe they just need time? Any suggestions would be helpful and if Halo_reef is reading this a pm from you would be very welcome!!!:biggrin:

Trigger Man
01-24-2009, 05:41 PM
sometimes a coral needs time to adjust to it's new home parameters as well the travelling would have stressed it out a bit. Most coral pieces look different in different tanks, due to the fact that each tank problably have different lighting systems and possibly bulb choices.

xtreme
01-24-2009, 05:50 PM
What exactly is the "juice" you are using?

reef_junkies
01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks, we will try and be a little more patient. We have them both on the sand right now but we have read some info that says to keep them up a little higher as to keep any sand from being kicked on them and to keep them a bit closer to light. Yet other info says on the sand only.

reef_junkies
01-24-2009, 05:58 PM
By "juice" my wife meant the little bit of tank water used to thaw out the brine shrimp and not the Jim Jones KoolAid that I"ll be drinking if we become anymore hooked on this Reefing addiction.

Pan
01-24-2009, 06:18 PM
dump the brine juice out...it adds nothing but future headaches to the water :)

reef_junkies
01-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks we will

xtreme
01-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Next time you are picking up some frozen food try mysis shrimp. More nutritional value than brine shrimp for everything in your tank.

MikeP
01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
I feed mine mysis a couple times a week. I thaw it out and suck it up into a turkey baster then gently release some right on top. They eat slow so you might have to defend it from fish or shrimp that steal food.

ElGuappo
01-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I had written my plate off at one point and was going to remove it. moved to to a corner with moderate light but lots of deitris and it made a miraculous comeback. i fed nothing as i thought it was dead. this was where the poo piled up and i was always using a turkey baster to remove from this spot. the poo and patience was all it needed. I know this is not what your asking but just a story letting you know they can live on deitris alone if in a good/bad spot.

The best results i have had with my plate was in a low flow spot on the sandbed. i also did pumps off for feeding to allow shrimp to fall onto it thus eliminating the need to spot feed.

reef_junkies
01-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Sounds like good advice.
Thanks

BlueAbyss
01-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I had written my plate off at one point and was going to remove it. moved to to a corner with moderate light but lots of deitris and it made a miraculous comeback. i fed nothing as i thought it was dead. this was where the poo piled up and i was always using a turkey baster to remove from this spot. the poo and patience was all it needed. I know this is not what your asking but just a story letting you know they can live on deitris alone if in a good/bad spot.

The best results i have had with my plate was in a low flow spot on the sandbed. i also did pumps off for feeding to allow shrimp to fall onto it thus eliminating the need to spot feed.

Hmm interesting... is the tank skimmed heavily? I'm curious because from what I've been reading, some corals do poorly in tanks that are very nutrient deficient.

Sorry I don't mean to sideline your thread, just putting in a thought.

Rippin
01-24-2009, 08:47 PM
One thing that I've found with short-tentacle plate corals is that they don't like to be touched. Once you've found an appropriate spot for it, just leave it alone - this could probably be applied to all corals. From your description, your current placement seems fine.

kipsix
01-24-2009, 09:48 PM
I have my plate coral on the sand in a 23" deep tank, with nothing but PC lighting. I have fed it only once, last week, by accident actually. I've had it for like 3-4 months and it's probably gone from 3" across to nearly 4.5".