PDA

View Full Version : The best salt ever

chevyjaxon
01-24-2009, 10:43 AM
ok im looking to switch away from instant ocean salt what is the best salt you can buy? there is no right answer, im just looking for as many opinions as I can get this way i can research the salts better and make a decision:mrgreen:

digital-audiophile
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
KZ reefers best. No other options for me.

chevyjaxon
01-24-2009, 01:14 PM
zeo vit right? is it sold in a lfs?

sphelps
01-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Second the Reefers Best, it's available at my LFS not sure about your location.

digital-audiophile
01-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah its the zeo salt. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding it in Edmonton. The only drawback is that it is expensive.

fishytime
01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
KZ RB or the new Giessmann H2Ocean salt.

Skimmerking
01-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I think that Instant ocean is awesome, I hav never had a problem with the salt in my travels. I did however try one pail of Tropic marine once.. didnt get a over all complete option about it used only a 1/2 pail.

mseepman
01-24-2009, 04:15 PM
In my opinion Aquacraft - Marine Environment is the best. It's only available at Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton (close to you)

I'm using Reefers best right now and it's pretty decent too.

I usually find it worth it to ship it all the way from Edmonton just because I don't seem to need to does anything when I use Aquacraft.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Im liking the D-D H2 Ocean Salt Pro myself. Its a real sea salt which is kind of cool. About the same price as Reefers best which seems to be about the going rate for premium salts.

I am switching to Reefers Best though because I am running ZEO. if I were not running ZEO though, I would stick with the D-D stuff. The ALK for a non ZEO tank is way too low in RBS at 7. I think the D-D pro salt has better numbers for a non ZEOvit tank.

Trigger Man
01-24-2009, 05:52 PM

both great salts, I started with RBS and have been using H2ocean for a bit now and have really liked the results.

whatcaneyedo
01-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm assuming you've seen this? http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1287118

I've tried Instant Ocean, Red Sea, Kent, Seachem Reef, and Tropic Marine Pro... Out of those I liked the Tropic Marine the most. Not sure why, just my opinion I guess.

mark
01-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Wondering what makes the salt "Best"?

I've got no problems with IO other that I spend an extra couple of minutes to add some Mg and Ca when making a batch.

Trigger Man
01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
for me not having to add anything else to the salt is what makes it better (but then again maybe I'm just lazy), so I for different setups different salts may work out best.

JDigital
01-24-2009, 08:47 PM

I thought H2Ocean was made my Deltec??

chevyjaxon
01-24-2009, 10:40 PM
great keep the ideas rolling i also found this
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/seasaltmixes/l/aa090503b.htm

awa1979
01-24-2009, 10:56 PM
I just use IO and dose. Dosing costs less for me, and I have never had any issues with IO. Plus the other salts are harder to get and shipping really isn't worth it.

Doug
01-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Wondering what makes the salt "Best"?

I've got no problems with IO other that I spend an extra couple of minutes to add some Mg and Ca when making a batch.

Same for me. I have been using IO since before time began. :lol:

bigmac
01-25-2009, 03:09 AM
KZ reefers best! My dosing is now almost non existent. Worth the few extra bucks!

lobsterboy
01-25-2009, 04:13 AM
what did your KH test out, when using BRS?
i had a few issues when starting it up, found that it was really lowdropped it down to six after a wc, for some reason.
KZ reefers best! My dosing is now almost non existent. Worth the few extra bucks!

fishytime
01-25-2009, 11:01 PM
I stand corrected:redface: Deltec H2Ocean salt.

Myka
01-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I have used many different brands of salt over the years, and I have never found there to be any difference in my tank's inhabitants. The only difference I have found is ease of mixing, and whether you need to dose to get the params right on the waterchange water. For these reasons, I use IO which is still cheaper even after dosing, and only takes a whopping 45 secs of my time to dose.

So...for those of you who think there really IS a "best" salt, what difference does it make on your inhabitants? WHY do you think your chosen salt is best? Do you have a justifiable reason? If there is justifiable reasoning behind spending $100+ on a bucket of salt (and I don't find lack of dosing a justifiable reason), then I may be compelled to try out one of the newer brands that have hit the market recently.

Delphinus
01-25-2009, 11:28 PM
I once sprung the extra $$ for a "premium" salt, the most expensive Red Coral was selling (before the current owner ran that store), which was Aquamedic. Boy was that ever a lesson. I spent twice as much on that as I could have on say IO, but the difference was that the "parameters" printed on the box were a complete fabrication. Magnesium at 1200! But gee, don't test it because it's really only 700 or so. I was blown away, why go to the trouble of printing numbers on the bucket if they don't in any way match reality? Similar story for Ca and Alk numbers. Complete fabrications.

My advice? Find a salt you like, stick with it, but test it before you use it so you know what you're putting in.

I'm continually behind the curve on this one. People seem to rant and rave about some salt brand, so I'll try it, but I'll finish off what I have before using it. Last year the flavour of the day was RBS, I finally finished off my last bucket of my last batch of salt this morning, and cracked open the RBS, so I'm about to see if I like it too. But then I read this thread and see the flavour of the day has moved onto a different brand. :lol:

To be honest, I never had an issue with IO. I didn't mind the lower Ca and Alk because I dosed that anyhow. Then I switched to Kent and had many trouble free years of use until the bad Alk batch. I sent in for a replacement bucket like so many others but I guess they didn't like me or something because they never sent me the replacement. So I'm not a fan of Kent anymore.

Should have just stuck with IO. :lol:

But I am excited to finally get to try RBS. Yay!

Skimmerking
01-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I have used many different brands of salt over the years, and I have never found there to be any difference in my tank's inhabitants. The only difference I have found is ease of mixing, and whether you need to dose to get the params right on the waterchange water. For these reasons, I use IO which is still cheaper even after dosing, and only takes a whopping 45 secs of my time to dose.

So...for those of you who think there really IS a "best" salt, what difference does it make on your inhabitants? WHY do you think your chosen salt is best? Do you have a justifiable reason? If there is justifiable reasoning behind spending $100+ on a bucket of salt (and I don't find lack of dosing a justifiable reason), then I may be compelled to try out one of the newer brands that have hit the market recently.

1+ here well said

awa1979
01-26-2009, 02:15 AM

I agree with you.

Not to mention IO is used by many public aquariums. I myself just can't justify $70+ on a bucket of salt when dosing works just as well.

JDigital
01-26-2009, 02:48 AM
I once sprung the extra $$ for a "premium" salt, the most expensive Red Coral was selling (before the current owner ran that store), which was Aquamedic. Boy was that ever a lesson. I spent twice as much on that as I could have on say IO, but the difference was that the "parameters" printed on the box were a complete fabrication. Magnesium at 1200! But gee, don't test it because it's really only 700 or so. I was blown away, why go to the trouble of printing numbers on the bucket if they don't in any way match reality? Similar story for Ca and Alk numbers. Complete fabrications.

My advice? Find a salt you like, stick with it, but test it before you use it so you know what you're putting in.

I'm continually behind the curve on this one. People seem to rant and rave about some salt brand, so I'll try it, but I'll finish off what I have before using it. Last year the flavour of the day was RBS, I finally finished off my last bucket of my last batch of salt this morning, and cracked open the RBS, so I'm about to see if I like it too. But then I read this thread and see the flavour of the day has moved onto a different brand. :lol:

To be honest, I never had an issue with IO. I didn't mind the lower Ca and Alk because I dosed that anyhow. Then I switched to Kent and had many trouble free years of use until the bad Alk batch. I sent in for a replacement bucket like so many others but I guess they didn't like me or something because they never sent me the replacement. So I'm not a fan of Kent anymore.

Should have just stuck with IO. :lol:

But I am excited to finally get to try RBS. Yay!

When you were using Aquamedic, were you rolling your bucket before mixing? I'm doing a batch of WC water now, and finishing off the end of my AM salt... I'll run a test on mine and see what type of numbers I get for CA and ALK.

marie
01-26-2009, 02:58 AM
I've always used IO never had any issues (and I've been using it for 15yrs) so I've never felt a need to replace it.

BlueAbyss
01-26-2009, 07:12 AM
http://web.archive.org/web/20010303215133/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/default.asp

I've seen this before and it's on one of the links posted above but I found this very interesting now that I'm actually considering putting saltwater in a tank in a couple months :lol:

Does anyone here not dose Ca and Alk? I'd like to avoid it as I will be doing rather frequent, heavy water changes in my tank when I get the uncured rock in there, getting less frequent and heavy as the rock cures. Though, in the end, I'd like to do a 10% water change every 5 days once the rock is cured and the tank has cycled.