PDA

View Full Version : New to RO/DI and would appreciate some guidance

MaxPowered
01-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Hey Guys,

So I have finally opted to go the RO/DI route (this hobby never seems to get cheaper).

Anyways, I bought the unit used and would appreciate some help from you guys to help me find out if the water will be safe enough to go in the tank. (I have always trusted prime despite the algae).

I got a 100gpd aqua safe unit, with a battery powered TDS meter, and pressure gauge.

Help with the following questions would be great.

1. Where does the pressure gauge go to test the amount of pressure? It's one the looks to be put in where one of the tube goes, but there is just so many.

2. What pressure is acceptable?

3. It looks like the TDS meter has been calibrated before, but the batteries are dead, so will it need to recalibrated? Also what is the accpetable ppm rating?

4. How will I know if the cartridges/membranes need replaced.

I really hope one of you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

DanG
01-25-2009, 12:31 AM
you want to measure the pressure straight from the tap.

How are you hooking into the freshwater? Did you tap right in or are you using the faucet adapter? To test the pressure in my system, take a piece of the plastic tube the system came with and hook that right to the feed line. You need at least 35psi for the system to work properly.

The TDS meter shouldn't need to be calibrated if the batteries have died. You should be able to get 0ppm with a properly working system.

If the TDS starts going up or is higher than ~5, then I'd start looking to replace the DI resin and filters.