PDA

View Full Version : New Tank cycle?

jalemboo
01-24-2009, 12:15 AM
My new nano 28g tank is running for about 1 week. In my tank, i had some live sand from the store and some from my brother in-law's tank, and 2 dead live along with 20 lbs of live rock from his tank. Today i tested the pH level, which is at 8.5 and ALK is around 3.3, my No2 is around 0.01 and NH3/4 is at close to 0. Does this mean my cycle is almost complete? Also what is a mini cycle?

Snaz
01-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Whatever you get reading wise, wait the full four weeks before adding anything other than a modest cleanup crew.

Myka
01-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Some of your readings are out of whack. What brand of test kits are you using? During a cycle the pH should drop, often below 8.0m so I am skeptical that your pH is 8.5 which is rather quite high. Your alkalinity is very low as well, what brand of salt are you using? I think you still have a couple weeks of cycling to go before it is done. You may still have ammonia present which it looks like you aren't testing for. Snaz has good advise that you should wait at least 4 weeks for the cycle no matter if the readings are good. Be sure that whatever you end up doing, you do a 50-75% waterchange after your cycle, and before you add any critters to your tank. For further info on tank cycling read the Guide in my signature.

jalemboo
01-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Some of your readings are out of whack. What brand of test kits are you using? During a cycle the pH should drop, often below 8.0m so I am skeptical that your pH is 8.5 which is rather quite high. Your alkalinity is very low as well, what brand of salt are you using? I think you still have a couple weeks of cycling to go before it is done. You may still have ammonia present which it looks like you aren't testing for. Snaz has good advise that you should wait at least 4 weeks for the cycle no matter if the readings are good. Be sure that whatever you end up doing, you do a 50-75% waterchange after your cycle, and before you add any critters to your tank. For further info on tank cycling read the Guide in my signature.

Myka, thank you for the feedback. I use ELOS Aqua test kit for Ammonia and Nitrite, Red Sea test kit for pH and ALK. i use reef crystals Salt for my water. I just did another test, ph at 8.4, Alk 2.9, NO2 at every close to zero and NH3/4 is also zero.

As per your suggestion, i will wait for another 2 weeks before adding Livestock into my tank. You guys are great help. Thank you.

jalemboo
01-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Whatever you get reading wise, wait the full four weeks before adding anything other than a modest cleanup crew.

Thank you Snaz, what is consider Modest clean up crew?

Snaz
01-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Thank you Snaz, what is consider Modest clean up crew?

About a dozen small hermits with extra shells, 1 or 2 turbo snails and a few of the other CUC snails like Astrea, Cerith and Nassarius.

jalemboo
01-26-2009, 04:40 AM
Got those today, thanks for advice. With soem crab and snail, do i need to change 10% water weekly, or just wait until the cycle complete before changing water?

BlueAbyss
01-26-2009, 07:27 AM
Should have waited for the cycle to be finished completely before adding any livestock, it's hard on them to live in an unstable (and slightly toxic) environment. Don't forget to feed your crabs and snails if there's nothing in the tank for them to eat... they will starve without algae and detritus for them to munch on. Feed lightly though, specially if your cycle isn't finished completely. And +1 on the weekly water change, I think regular water changes are overlooked a lot as a way to keep a tank healthy.

EDIT: Just noticed your test for ammonia at 0, awesome. Keep testing though, adding livestock will throw things off a bit again. Anything that eats produces ammonia, so we'll see if your cycle is indeed done.

jalemboo
01-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Should have waited for the cycle to be finished completely before adding any livestock, it's hard on them to live in an unstable (and slightly toxic) environment. Don't forget to feed your crabs and snails if there's nothing in the tank for them to eat... they will starve without algae and detritus for them to munch on. Feed lightly though, specially if your cycle isn't finished completely. And +1 on the weekly water change, I think regular water changes are overlooked a lot as a way to keep a tank healthy.

EDIT: Just noticed your test for ammonia at 0, awesome. Keep testing though, adding livestock will throw things off a bit again. Anything that eats produces ammonia, so we'll see if your cycle is indeed done.

BlueAbyss,

I have alot of algae on my tank already, lots of clear/white small warm running around on my live rocks. the only problem i have is my sand is looking a little dirty, not sure how i can get it clean.

gbeef
01-26-2009, 07:51 PM
yeah i would agree 3-4 weeks cycle time depending on if the rock was pre-cured. I would do snails forget hermits till later on. Depending on how bad the hair algae is you may need to get a turbo snail or trocus (which are awsome). If your not an experinced reefer i would wait the full 4 weeks.

ElGuappo
01-26-2009, 08:48 PM
IMO i would not go with a turbo. while they are great they crap alot and are very clumbsy when they get larger. for the sand go with some nass.(nassuris.sp) snail and maybe even a sandsifting star. Many will tell you your tank is too small for one and it will starve, i have always had 1 in my RSM and still on my first one. even at times with a second in there. however my rock work is basically on stilts providng lots of room for them to roam.

jalemboo
01-26-2009, 10:12 PM
totally agree, still have 2 more weeks to go.

gbeef
01-28-2009, 09:47 PM
IMO i would not go with a turbo. while they are great they crap alot and are very clumbsy when they get larger. for the sand go with some nass.(nassuris.sp) snail and maybe even a sandsifting star. Many will tell you your tank is too small for one and it will starve, i have always had 1 in my RSM and still on my first one. even at times with a second in there. however my rock work is basically on stilts providng lots of room for them to roam.

Turbos are the only hair to get rid of LONG hair algae thats my personal experince. Once the job is done just give him away or bring him back to the store. Hell just borrow one.. hahaha
I wouldnt leave a turbo in my tank, but i would use one after a cycle... They MOW thru anything.

Snaz
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Turbos are the only hair to get rid of LONG hair algae thats my personal experince. Once the job is done just give him away or bring him back to the store. Hell just borrow one.. hahaha
I wouldnt leave a turbo in my tank, but i would use one after a cycle... They MOW thru anything.

Hmm I have never seen hair algae, I guess my Turbo takes care of that. He seems healthy enough and it certainly is growing so he must be finding something to eat. I agree they can be bulldozers

jalemboo
01-29-2009, 04:22 AM
yeah, starting to see small algae hair growing on my rock. Is one turbo snail enough for a 28G.

Myka
01-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I've never seen a Turbo eat hair algae...

jalemboo
01-31-2009, 04:28 AM
For some reason, i got lots of air bubbles all over my rocks, is that a sign of trouble?

Snaz
02-01-2009, 05:31 PM
For some reason, i got lots of air bubbles all over my rocks, is that a sign of trouble?

Reefers please correct me if I am wrong but I think the answer is thus:

Bubbles are either Oxygen or Nitrogen. If they are on plants or only observed after the light has been on for a long time then they are result of photosynthesis. Good.

Nitrogen bubbles are produced when anaerobic bacteria turn nitrates into Nitrogen, also good. Anaerobic bacteria shun oxygen and usually live in deep sandbeds, not all reef tanks get these anaerobes which take the nitrogen cycle one step further.

Myka
02-01-2009, 05:52 PM

Bubbles are either Oxygen or Nitrogen. If they are on plants or only observed after the light has been on for a long time then they are result of photosynthesis. Good.

Nitrogen bubbles are produced when anaerobic bacteria turn nitrates into Nitrogen, also good. Anaerobic bacteria shun oxygen and usually live in deep sandbeds, not all reef tanks get these anaerobes which take the nitrogen cycle one step further.

The bubbles on the rocks are probably air not oxygen or nitrogen, just caused by aerated water probably from powerheads.

Anaerobic bacteria are mainly found in the middle portions of your live rock, so you can count on having a good sized population in any tank that has live rock. This is one of the many reasons that a DSB isn't needed imo. All tanks which have adequate amounts of good live rock should never have a detectable nitrate reading. If your tank does, then there is an imbalance somewhere, usually caused by excess nutrients as a direct result from overstocking and/or poor nutrient export.

jalemboo
02-01-2009, 06:55 PM

That is correct, my bubble only present after long period of expose to light.

My nirtrates is not detectable.

Does moon light do anything to the reefs or just for looks.

BlueAbyss
02-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Moonlights are mainly for looks, though if timed properly can give the effect of a lunar period which may induce spawning behaviour by some animals.

jalemboo
02-01-2009, 09:37 PM
well, i set up my timer that at 10Am the sun light will go on until 2 pm, then moon light will go on for 2 hours, then the sun light will turn back on at 4:00 pm until 10 pm. Moon light for another 2 hours then shut off. is that ok.