PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Mandarin

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-23-2009, 11:27 PM
After watching him wither away the past few weeks, I think its time for a new home. He eats very well (mysis) but with all my big fish, he barely gets any food. I try to spot feed him but he is way too slow. He needs to go to a home with other small less aggressive fish. No nano's please though. I just want a good home for him.

I can show you that he DOES eat but I warn you, he has gotten very skinny. Its going to take some time to get him fat again. He was doing very well eating in a corner but now the tangs have figured out where I spot feed him and just wait there :(

Not looking for money but a frag would be nice. I am looking for either sps or a hammer/frogspawn frag. Really nothing much and if you have a good home, I will probably just give him for free if you don't have much to trade :)

I feel so bad for him. He is healthy looking besides the lack of a belly.

TheRealBigAL
01-23-2009, 11:50 PM
If you are 100% sure that your mandarin is a male you should Pm seahorse fanatic. I gave him a small female that I had purchased from JL just to save it about 4 months ago. I kept her but I already had a male and female pair in my tank. So once she was fattened up on pods I gave her to Seahorse fanatic so she could live in his massive planted sump (SO NICE). So hopefully Seahorse can take him from you because your mandarin will have the best life ever in his sump.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-24-2009, 12:01 AM
If you are 100% sure that your mandarin is a male you should Pm seahorse fanatic. I gave him a small female that I had purchased from JL just to save it about 4 months ago. I kept her but I already had a male and female pair in my tank. So once she was fattened up on pods I gave her to Seahorse fanatic so she could live in his massive planted sump (SO NICE). So hopefully Seahorse can take him from you because your mandarin will have the best life ever in his sump.

Yes I know his sump well :)

I have a few PM's already and a good home lined up but yeah if they don't work out, I will talk to Anthony. Thanks!

c me fish
01-25-2009, 01:46 AM
:smile:

Pan
01-25-2009, 01:59 AM
try putting food in a little glass bottle like meleev did, works. I put in arctic pods and pellets and mine ate when i had him. Pipefish did as well...

spoot
01-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Justin, why not try the mandarin diner trick? If you don't find a good place, I know someone who would love to take him *Waves hands* :D

Whatigot
01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
I got 25 frags coming in from fragalot..
would def trade you for him..

I have a good, established tank full of peaceful eaters...

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Sorry guys he went to a new home a few days ago already.

Whatigot
01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
nice one.
Glad some reefers have the sense to know when they are past the point of putting in more effort.

just out of curiosity, how deep is your sand bed, what kind/size of sand and how long has the whole system you had him in been up and running?

I wanted a blue spot, but I've lost 2 yellow heads recently, so I think I better stay away from the 200 dollar version.

The next choice for me for a sweet bottom dweller is a mandarin, Therealbigal had 4 at one time in his 50, but he was way more dilligent about adding pods and spot feeding than I could ever be...

Just wondering what your specs were t compare to my own in the hopes that I can maintain one without too much extra effort.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-26-2009, 05:14 PM
nice one.
Glad some reefers have the sense to know when they are past the point of putting in more effort.

just out of curiosity, how deep is your sand bed, what kind/size of sand and how long has the whole system you had him in been up and running?

I wanted a blue spot, but I've lost 2 yellow heads recently, so I think I better stay away from the 200 dollar version.

The next choice for me for a sweet bottom dweller is a mandarin, Therealbigal had 4 at one time in his 50, but he was way more dilligent about adding pods and spot feeding than I could ever be...

Just wondering what your specs were t compare to my own in the hopes that I can maintain one without too much extra effort.

My tank has been up for about 8 months but I have had the LR, ect. for years. Sugar sand and live sand mixed...even a bit of crushed coral.

I was spot feeding him but my tangs figured it out and would just wait by him at feeding time :( I could have tried all kinds of things to keep him but in the end I just felt like he would be better off with someone who had more interest in spending more time with him. I am upgrading to a 200G in a few weeks too and just don't want to have to find him in it and spot feed him or worry about keeping food inside a bottle for him.

If you can get one already eating mysis then it should be relatively easy to keep one.

Whatigot
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
I hear ya, exactly the situation I want to avoid.
thanks for the specs...