PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Already posted in my tank thread but I am super excited about this guy!

Its been a while I have been looking for a nice looking Harlequin Tusk Wrasse.

He is about 5" or so.

Acclimation:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/ZZZ088.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/ZZZ092.jpg

moldrik
01-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Very cool fish. I was just at J&L and I think I saw some of them.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Very cool fish. I was just at J&L and I think I saw some of them.

Yeah I had one on hold there. I was at J&L the day they came in and happen to see them acclimating. I wanted to take one home right then but figured a few days in the store would be best. They looked like they shipped very nicely.

moldrik
01-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Did you see that Blue Hippo that they had at the store? Pretty sad, it was torn to pieces but still swimming. It looked like it had been picked apart really badly, all of the skin around the head was gone and most of it's fins were shredded.

I felt bad for the big guy.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Did you see that Blue Hippo that they had at the store? Pretty sad, it was torn to pieces but still swimming. It looked like it had been picked apart really badly, all of the skin around the head was gone and most of it's fins were shredded.

Yes that guy has been there for a few weeks :( He was in the tank my Tusk was. So you saw the fish I had on hold for sure.

I also feel so bad for that tang. If I had room, he would for sure be a rescue. I would need a proper QT though.

Lance
01-23-2009, 11:09 PM
The Harlequin Tusk is on my wish list too. As soon as the new 225 has been up for a few more months, I'll be getting one. Yours is a beauty.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-23-2009, 11:18 PM
The Harlequin Tusk is on my wish list too. As soon as the new 225 has been up for a few more months, I'll be getting one. Yours is a beauty.

Yeah the two J&L got in the other day were some of the nicest I have seen. Make sure its an Australian (Im sure you know the difference).

He acclimated so easily and didn't hide at all. Immediately went to exploring the tank and begging me for food. What a friendly (and trusting) fish!

traco
01-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Being patient has paid off for you! A nice looking wrasse you acquired, can't wait to see him/her in the tank.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Being patient has paid off for you! A nice looking wrasse you acquired, can't wait to see him/her in the tank.

Yes indeed :)

I will snap some shots of him in the tank now...

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-24-2009, 12:02 AM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/ZZZ158.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/ZZZ155.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/ZZZ154.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/ZZZ147.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/Justinpsmith/ZZZ134.jpg

moldrik
01-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Those are some sharp teeth!!

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Those are some sharp teeth!!

Yeah no kidding! I bet thats why the others just left him alone to cruise his new home.

Lance
01-24-2009, 12:48 AM
[QUOTE=GreenSpottedPuffer;380202]Yeah the two J&L got in the other day were some of the nicest I have seen. Make sure its an Australian (Im sure you know the difference).

Yup, only an Aussie for me. They are more colourful and hardier than the Indain Ocean.

my2rotties
01-24-2009, 06:03 AM
That is one cool fish. Good for you, it looks awesome in your beautiful tank!!!

iansfishy
01-24-2009, 04:27 PM
GSP, I couldnt see but is your tank covered? Are these fish known to jump or no? I really like the layout of your tank. You must be a fish guy opposed to a coral guy! nice fish.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-24-2009, 04:39 PM
GSP, I couldnt see but is your tank covered? Are these fish known to jump or no? I really like the layout of your tank. You must be a fish guy opposed to a coral guy! nice fish.

Yeah I am a fish guy! Corals to me are just decorations for the fishes home. Kind of like pictures on the wall. Having said that, I want beautiful pictures, so I try hard to keep the corals happy :D

I do have a top and yes I have heard too many of them jumping to keep them in a topless tank myself. They are a wrasse after all.

It doesn't matter the cost of the fish, a life is a life but this one would hurt the pocket book too. He wasn't cheap. Not in the price range of say Crosshatch triggers or black tangs of course but just around $200 with taxes and I rarely spend that much a fish.

my2rotties
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Money well spent:mrgreen: You of all people would do your homework about the fish and how to give him the awesome considerate home that all fish deserve.

Yeah I am a fish guy! Corals to me are just decorations for the fishes home. Kind of like pictures on the wall. Having said that, I want beautiful pictures, so I try hard to keep the corals happy :D

I do have a top and yes I have heard too many of them jumping to keep them in a topless tank myself. They are a wrasse after all.

It doesn't matter the cost of the fish, a life is a life but this one would hurt the pocket book too. He wasn't cheap. Not in the price range of say Crosshatch triggers or black tangs of course but just around $200 with taxes and I rarely spend that much a fish.

Chaloupa
01-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Beautiful fish!!! I also have a Harlequin Tusk....and YES they do jump. I noticed mine was missing...sort of forgot as it was busy around here....:redface: and a couple weeks later after we had searched the floor, sump etc...we decided to check the overflow...low and behold one HT fish!!!! A bit battered up as the overflows aren't very large...but after a few days of swimming and regular feeding he is back to his normal self..and once again the tank is covered with eggcrate.....

justinl
01-24-2009, 07:38 PM
i have always been a big fan of the tusks and yours is a beauty.

TheRealBigAL
01-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow very nice fish !!!!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-24-2009, 10:04 PM
He seems a little cramped in my tank right now. I got home today and hes really zipping around. What an active fish. Swims much more than the tangs even.

Looks like I have a 200G coming soon though that he will enjoy a lot more.

hillegom
01-24-2009, 11:11 PM
Isn't that the way though, just one more tank

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Isn't that the way though, just one more tank

Well it replacing the current tank...not another one :)

Its just better long term for my livestock.

Its 72"x30"x22" and my current tank is 72"x19"x19".

justinl
01-24-2009, 11:41 PM
He seems a little cramped in my tank right now. I got home today and hes really zipping around. What an active fish. Swims much more than the tangs even.

Looks like I have a 200G coming soon though that he will enjoy a lot more.

Ive heard that tusks are particularly notorious for being unusually active upon introduction. they usually settle down and swim more slowly within a couple weeks.

hillegom
01-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Well thats a good upgrade then, 6' before, 6' after just wider.
I could probably talk the wife into that. Will work that angle.

spoot
01-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Looks great Justin, looks like he did indeed ship well! I'd love one of those too someday. Sweet, new tank! Let me know if you want some help moving or building stuff, I'll be glad to lend a hand.

chevyjaxon
01-25-2009, 03:26 PM
didnt know that fish existed, now i want one

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Looks great Justin, looks like he did indeed ship well! I'd love one of those too someday. Sweet, new tank! Let me know if you want some help moving or building stuff, I'll be glad to lend a hand.

Careful...I may take you up on that!

I think I may need one more guy to help me move the tank...I have three lined up for sure but probably will need 4. We are using a dolly so not much lifting really except up onto the stand.

The tank is 3/4" bottom and 1/2" side panes, so relatively heavy but not that bad. Luckily there are no stairs to go up and no need to use the elevator even at my place because if we go in through the back, its on ground level (my building is on a hill).

Diana
01-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Love the fish! I was eyeballing that guy hehe. So beautiful.

FYI, this hippo was not 'picked on', he has severe lateral line erosion caused by poor nutrition and bad water quality, and was brought to the store to have a chance at a better life! :( Regal tangs are so prone to lateral line. He is needing a good home with an owner that will feed him seaweed and veggies daily to try and repair some of the damage... Although he will probably never fully heal. :(

-Diana

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Love the fish! I was eyeballing that guy hehe. So beautiful.

FYI, this hippo was not 'picked on', he has severe lateral line erosion caused by poor nutrition and bad water quality, and was brought to the store to have a chance at a better life! :( Regal tangs are so prone to lateral line. He is needing a good home with an owner that will feed him seaweed and veggies daily to try and repair some of the damage... Although he will probably never fully heal. :(

-Diana

Yeah he has one of the worst cases of HLLE I have ever seen. I still feel so bad for him. I really would take him if I didn't already have a Hippo or if two hippos would get along in one tank.

He did seem quite active and just needs a good diet and care for a bit.