PDA

View Full Version : Lighting suggestions

my2rotties
01-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I purchased a unit that has three 250w halides, and six power compacts. The power compacts need to be replaced, and I want some to compliment the Profilux controller I purchased with the lighting unit.

I was wondering what kind of compacts I should buy to fully utilize the sun/moon phases of daytime and night. The compacts are placed on each side of the halides. Since half of the bulbs are burned out, I cannot tell which ones come on with one of the two switches. I think the back half turn on with one switch and front with the other. The bulbs themselves do not say which spectrum they are so it is not helping me much.

Keith will be coming to help me out with the Profilux since I have no clue how to make it all run. The seller also forgot to give me the proper adaptors for the unit itself to plug into the computer. No big deal but it's a small hurdle to overcome.

What would be a nice combination to use?

Whatigot
01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
for what?
specifically, what are you hoping to keep?
what are your preferences towards blue or white/yellow lighting?

Might help give you relevant suggestions...

mike31154
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Have you considered tossing the PCs entirely and trying to modify the fixture with retro T5HO lamps? If that's possible, it might be worth giving it a try. Much more choice in bulb temperature/colour and with indivdual ballasts/reflectors the light output increase would be substantial. You might even be able to keep the MHs turned on for a shorter period and save a few kilowatts.

Whatigot
01-23-2009, 05:12 PM
IMO, PC's are more than adequate for supplementary reef lighting.

my2rotties
01-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I am a newbie with lighting and controllers. I was running tek lights prior and had fiji purple, atinics, and coral lights. I have a few softies and a monti cap for corals. I just started this new system so I just want to be able to try everything in the future. To be able to have options to try different corals would be what I am after in the long run.

The remaining compacts give wonderful light and I think they are better then the tek lights to be honest. My tank is 30" deep, and they seem to get right down to the bottom. The halides are amazing and I am glad I switched to them from the teklights. I can't believe the difference in my softies already. My frogspawn is now the size of a soccerball in just a few days of halides. I would love to try clams but I don't think my selection of fish at the monet will allow for those. Plus my system is not established enough to try just yet.

My Profilux can be programmed for sunrise and sunset. I just want to mimick what the profilux can do to replicate to ocean, storms, clouds and everything else lighting and weather related. I even have a lightening stick which is way cool to watch it mimick a storm. Of course its not hooked up here yet but it was impressive to see at the seller's place.

It scares me to think of taking the lights apart to refit them with a different kind of bulb, but its a possibility later on. Right now I would like to use what I have since there is already a big difference in my softies.

Thanks for the help.:smile: