PDA

View Full Version : Too much of a water change??

iansfishy
01-22-2009, 11:38 PM
For the two years my tank has been running I have steadily done a 15 gallon water change every week of a total water volume of about 150+- gallons. Thats like, i dont know 45% a month (thanks grade 9 intro math, from 12 years ago!) After reading a diffrent thread on here, someone stated that even a 40% water change a month was extreme. Am I essentially stripping the water of nutrition?

Trigger Man
01-22-2009, 11:50 PM
If you have been doing the 15% wc every week for 2 years with good results don't worry what others my think. I did not read the tread that mentioned 40% wc in a month being bad but i assume they meant at one time. Many people do a 15 % change a week (i do one every 10 days or so, and when I was running a heavily stocked fowlr tank I was doing a water change every 5 days to keep good water conditions). You have to remember that waterchanges depend on many things, one of the bigger ones being how much you feed, bioload and the ability of your tanks cuc and benificial bacteria to remove the undesirables. WC allow for depleted nutrients to be put back into the tank as well as a way to get the bad stuff out of the water that otherwise can not do it quickly enough by itself.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Not true, your fine. Especially if using a good quality salt.

One of my favorite tanks out there (a beautiful Japanese sps tank) does around 190% water change a month using the daily change method.