PDA

View Full Version : Large frag disc's?

MikeP
01-22-2009, 05:43 PM
I need something round and about 4 inches across to do some frag mounting. What is recommended? Is there something reef safe I can find at a local hobby/craft store?

reef bound
01-22-2009, 05:53 PM
not sure if this would work for you, but I've seen people mount things on tiles (like the smaller backsplash tiles) from home depot or wherever. These are also used to place under clams in the sand so i'm assuming they're safe. They're usually square though.......just a thought.

Trigger Man
01-22-2009, 05:55 PM
ya tiles have been used by a bunch of people now, I know there is a specific type, and I was at Red coral yesterday and Kevin had some he was showing me, so you can always drop him a line or call the shop.

Delphinus
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
4 inches? Seems a large size, might be a bit hard to find something to fit the bill. I'm thinking a spare bathroom tile maybe .. :neutral:

You can buy frag disks but they're usually more like 1.5" round or 3/4". If that works for you I think Red Coral has some.

Delphinus
01-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Ha, everything I said got posted before I could press "Submit". Oh well, good luck finding something.

Borderjumper
01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
I make mine out of white cement and reef sand. LOL I use an old muffin pan for the larger ones. You have to let them cure for 4-6 weeks before using them tho. My toilet tank is usually full of them:wink:

my2rotties
01-22-2009, 06:46 PM
I can give you a couple of 4"x4" pieces of travertine if you like. I also have a few 1"x1" if you need. Let me know.

michika
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Travertine is what you can use. If there is glue on them just give them a 10-15 minute soak in white vinegar. I find that Home Depot has a better selection of smaller tiles then Rona does, however it might be different at your prefered location.

Super glue works better on these tiles then epoxy in my experience.

MikeP
01-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I was thinking tile but didn't know how safe it would be for a reef. I'm planning mulitple monti frags together so that's why I was looking for something bigger than a typical frag plug.

Here's where I got the idea...(scroll about half way down)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-01/totm/index.php

BCOrchidGuy
01-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Go to the super market and find the biggest scallop you can find, (giant scallop) you should be able to find one close to 4 inches. Enjoy the scallop, clean the shell and presto...

Douglas

Delphinus
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Wow, great idea. Guess the other option is go get a small piece of live rock or base rock and tilesaw it down if needed (assuming you have access to one!)

my2rotties
01-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Let me know MIke I have some pieces cut in half with the tile saw as well. We built our entire back wall and bottom of our set up with travertine. Just boil it in water and let it dry in case something got on it in the quarry or with shipping.

Trigger Man
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I was thinking tile but didn't know how safe it would be for a reef. I'm planning mulitple monti frags together so that's why I was looking for something bigger than a typical frag plug.

Here's where I got the idea...(scroll about half way down)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-01/totm/index.php

Your gonna have to update us later on on whether you were able to get it to work like on the link. I read the same link and was contemplating doing the same think, good to know you are on it.

brizzo
01-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Aha! Great ideas!

I have actually had the same plan since I saw Emster's thread on RC a couple months ago.

Now I know what I'm doing tonight! I already have 2x red montis, and 2x green montis grown out ready to glue :mrgreen: