PDA

View Full Version : Question for Lumenarc Owners

dbdavid
01-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I am building my new light rack and have 3 Lumenarc mini's. Does anyone use a peice of galss to sheild the relector from salt spray? Any issue with heat build up. I will be using 250W mogul base bulbs.

Thanks

Dave

wickedfrags
01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I do not use them personally. While glass does absorb/block light entering the tank, well a single piece of glass is much easier than cleaning the entire reflector. Can't comment on heat build up. Good luck, I bet you will be very happy with the however you chose to install them.

I am building my new light rack and have 3 Lumenarc mini's. Does anyone use a peice of galss to sheild the relector from salt spray? Any issue with heat build up. I will be using 250W mogul base bulbs.

Thanks

Dave

christyf5
01-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I have 2 of the lumenarc minis. Love them. I don't have glass in mine, they do get a fair bit of salt spray from a particularly idiotic fish who likes to be a butthead and splash them. I usually give them a clean every 3-6 months or whenever I notice that they're getting bad. They are a bit of a pain to clean and I would imagine cleaning glass would be easier but I don't like the glass.

Haven't noticed any heat issues with them vs the old reflectors. I do run a fan in my lighting hood though.

sphelps
01-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I use 250W lumenmax 3 reflectors, they are very similar to the lumenarc mini but use DE bulbs. They have glass shields and have no issues with heat.

wickedfrags
01-22-2009, 05:49 PM
ah come on, probably just excited to see you

... they do get a fair bit of salt spray from a particularly idiotic fish who likes to be a butthead and splash them.

christyf5
01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
ah come on, probably just excited to see you

LOL, ya me and the food jar :razz:

dbdavid
01-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I use 250W lumenmax 3 reflectors, they are very similar to the lumenarc mini but use DE bulbs. They have glass shields and have no issues with heat.

Thanks everyone, I had the glass cut but was afraid the heat build-up inside the reflector would cause issues. I would rather clean glass than try to keep the aluminium polished.

I have designed the rack so that I can just lift out each refector making cleaning easier.

Dave

sphelps
01-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Did you have the glass tempered? It's pretty important if you use thin glass like 3mm. If you used 5 or 6mm you should be ok with non-tempered.

dbdavid
01-22-2009, 08:03 PM
No It is not tempered. It is pretty thin, I beleive it is 3mm. Does tempering add strength or does it just cut down on the large shards if it breaks? Do glass shops normally offer this service or should I have ordered it tempered?

Dave

JDigital
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
I thought Lumenarcs and Lumenmax reflectors came with the UV glass??... I know my Lumenmax's did.

sphelps
01-22-2009, 08:21 PM
3mm glass should be tempered to increase its strength. If it's not tempered it could crack from the heat and/or water splash. Thinner glass is better so less light is filtered but if thinner glass is used it needs to be tempered. Glass supplied with reflectors is always tempered, as far as I know.

Most halide reflectors that come with shields such as the lumenmax 3 use low-emissivity glass. This is because such reflectors use DE bulbs which require a UV shield. SE bulbs do not require a UV shield so any glass can be used.

Tempering is not always offered by glass shops. Most glass shops will have to cut the glass and then send it out for tempering or order the tempered glass pre-cut. You cannot cut or drill glass once tempered. If you did not ask for tempered glass, you didn't get tempered glass. I would recommend either ordering new glass which is either thicker or tempered.

christyf5
01-23-2009, 12:21 AM
I thought Lumenarcs and Lumenmax reflectors came with the UV glass??... I know my Lumenmax's did.

They probably do if you get the DE model, mine were SE so glass was "optional" I guess.

JDigital
01-23-2009, 01:45 AM
They probably do if you get the DE model, mine were SE so glass was "optional" I guess.

Yea, I suppose that would make sense..

I was just looking at Sunlight Supplies website, and you are right.. The Lumenmax Elite HQI's come with glass, the Lumenmax Elite Mogul's don't mention it being included in the description.

chevyjaxon
01-24-2009, 02:00 PM
No It is not tempered. It is pretty thin, I beleive it is 3mm. Does tempering add strength or does it just cut down on the large shards if it breaks? Do glass shops normally offer this service or should I have ordered it tempered?

Dave

tempering makes the glass harder and more brittle but the upside is yes it is stronger but will still turn into big shards if broken, safety glass is the glass that turns into cubes if it is shattered it is simply laminated, it was invented by auto manufacturers to make windshields more safe for you to fly through if you hit a pole:onfire:

sphelps
01-24-2009, 02:36 PM
tempering makes the glass harder and more brittle but the upside is yes it is stronger but will still turn into big shards if broken, safety glass is the glass that turns into cubes if it is shattered it is simply laminated, it was invented by auto manufacturers to make windshields more safe for you to fly through if you hit a pole:onfire:
Actually this is not correct. Tempered glass will always shatter into small oval pebbles when broken. Tempered glass is often referred to as safety glass because of this reason.

When it comes to automotive glass all glass except the windshield is regular tempered glass. This however would not work for the windshield, instead it is made of laminated glass which is two pieces of glass sandwiched around a piece of plastic. Windshields are not tempered.

JDigital
01-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Windshields are not tempered.

Hence why a crack can spread (or even spider) across the windshield... (like the one i have! right through my line of sight! :twised: )

andestang
01-25-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm thinking of getting some Lumenarc's and was considering using glass to shield them. I have some Spider reflectors with no glass. They've been damaged from the the saltwater splashing on them. Seems to perminetly damage the chrome finish. Is this a problem with Lumenarc's ?

christyf5
01-25-2009, 01:31 AM
I've had my lumenarcs since 2006. Cleaning is when I notice/remember. I have no permanent damage. I'd say the splashing on mine is moderate (vs minimal or heavy) definite white spots covering 20-40% of each "panel" if that helps as a description :wink:

Which reminds me, I should probly clean them :razz:

banditpowdercoat
01-25-2009, 02:22 AM

Windshields are WORSE to go through. They are, like previous stated, Laminated and not tempered. So, they go into razar shards and still stay glued together so you have to RIP through it in an accident. The reason for laminating is so they to not fall in your lap when an object, like a rock, hits the windshield. And if they were tempered, said rock would Instantly completely shatter a tempered windshield.

tempering is acctually an act of making the "skin" of the glass shrink. It shrinks and in essence compresses the inside of the glass. Think of the tempering like a balloon. The air inside is being squeezed and compressed by the balloon. Now puncture the balloon, alll the air instantly escapes, because the "skin" is not there. Same thing happens with tempered. Deviate the "skin" and it just completely lets go

BTW, even the edges are tempered. Meaning, if you punctured or chipped the edge of say, a 1" thick sheet of tempered glass, the whole sheet is a goner.

chevyjaxon
01-25-2009, 06:38 AM
thankyou for correcting me, my bad, however, i never stated that windsheilds were tempered only laminated i guess i was misunderstood i should have worded it better :neutral:

banditpowdercoat
01-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Wasn't meaning anything by it, Just sharing some knowledge. :D

chevyjaxon
01-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Wasn't meaning anything by it, Just sharing some knowledge. :D
thats ok no foul:smile: