PDA

View Full Version : Big tank for new house...too heavy?

jgoldsney
05-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi there everyone....

I am in the process of building a new house and I had orrginaly planned a tank upgrade to coencide with the new house.

I would like to go to a 200+ gal tank. :D:D

The problem is where to put it.

I was originaly planing to put it in the bonus room above my garage. I checked with the company that designed the house and asked them if they thought that the floor could handle a 2k - 3k lb weight. Where I want to put the tank is almost directly on top of one of a 2X6 wall below. I was wondering if doubling up a couple of the 2X6 studs and possibly adding a few more floor joists would be enough to support the tank.

I am considering a tank aprox 30" wide and the supporting wall below is 36" from the wall that the tank will be against

||
||Tank here aprox 30"
||<---36"--->
|==========
|########## 10" TGI joist
|==========
========||
========||
========||Supporting wall

Thoughts anyone?

Joel

Quinn
05-23-2003, 03:58 PM
my 150 gal with 50 gal sump is nearly directly above a large beam and i chose to reinforce anyways, as even without being full of water, the tank rocked significantly if i jumped up and down. it wasn't something i wanted to risk.

Aquattro
05-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Joel, I think you'll be fine. Are the TGI joists on 19" centers? Maybe have the contractor add a few more between the outside wall and the 2x6 wall (span the 36" space).