PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic tank builders Van?

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-22-2009, 01:03 AM
I looked a while back with no luck. I am still interested in eventually getting a tank built if I can find someone locally. Doesn't have to be a pro builder or acrylic worker but just someone who has the skills/tools and time. If you have built a tank before though, thats a plus :) I also don't mind helping.

I thought actually trying to find someone else who also wants to build themselves a tank may be a good way to get this done...do them at the same time maybe. I just don't have the tools or SKILLS to do it myself :D

FWIW, I am looking to build 72" (or 84") x30"x16" (or 18") tall.

Let me know if you know someone! Not in any hurry since this is not something I would probably do until spring/summer.

Mrfish55
01-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Check with Industrial Plastics and Paint, if they cant build it for you they should know someone who will.

plutoniumJoe
01-22-2009, 04:03 AM
I have the tools and a bit of experience. I built my skimmer and my 30G sump. I am tempted to try something much larger but often wondered if it is cost effective. I found Associated Plastics in East Van to have the best prices for sheet Acrylic.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Yeah I am not too sure yet if it is indeed cost effective. I have not been able to find an acrylic tank builder in town to compare prices. When I lived down in Florida, I was looking for a tank builder and was able to find like a dozen in a few hours but here there just doesn't seem to be too many that are easy to find. Seems kind of weird.

I have been able to price out acrylic...looking at 2 sheets for this project which works out to just under $800. Don't know if I would be able to find anything much cheaper.

Diana
01-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Hmmm... I cant remember if it was you or not but we were supposed to get a quote for building a tank from Tenecor in the states. I'm not sure if Raf ever did! Let me see if I can look up a approx. price for you today. It would be cheaper, but it would be in US $ plus you'd have to pay brokerage fees at the border.

If you can't find anyone to help u build it might be an option.

Cheers
-Diana

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Hmmm... I cant remember if it was you or not but we were supposed to get a quote for building a tank from Tenecor in the states. I'm not sure if Raf ever did! Let me see if I can look up a approx. price for you today. It would be cheaper, but it would be in US $ plus you'd have to pay brokerage fees at the border.

If you can't find anyone to help u build it might be an option.

Cheers
-Diana

Hey Diana

I don't think it was me actually. Although I don't remember because I was looking all over at the beginning of last year!

If you do get a quote though, that would be awesome. I am interested in finding out what they would charge. Thanks!

Marlin65
01-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Try www.krenplastics.com

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes I tried them last year and found the price to be a bit much.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Jeez the price I am getting quoted for a tank from a regular acrylic shop are crazy!!! Anywhere from $1200-2000.

I think if I can find a good price on the sheets, I will have my stepfather build it with me. He used to build glass tanks and although he has never used acrylic before, he has lots of tools, space and can build just about anything.

So, where is the best place to pick up a few 4x8' sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" acrylic?

Anyone able to get a good deal anywhere :D

plutoniumJoe
01-23-2009, 01:58 PM
The best prices I found are at Associated Plastics & Supply in Vancouver (they take cash only) I looked into building 180G 72,24,24. For a 1/2 inch sheet of Cell Cast they want $381 and I figure it would take 1.5 sheets. So roughly $600. A 180 Reef ready at JL is under $800.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-23-2009, 05:08 PM
The best prices I found are at Associated Plastics & Supply in Vancouver (they take cash only) I looked into building 180G 72,24,24. For a 1/2 inch sheet of Cell Cast they want $381 and I figure it would take 1.5 sheets. So roughly $600. A 180 Reef ready at JL is under $800.

I did look into them already and got about the same price. Seems like there should be a better deal out there when you look at US prices for the same products :( Much, much cheaper.

I have a 180 already along with a 240, both in my parents basement. I don't want another standard tank or I wouldn't be looking for a builder.

Raf
01-24-2009, 12:56 AM
pmed you...