PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bangaii's

Sushiman
03-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Thanks Andrew, the two little buggers are doing fine & eating like piggies.

SUPPORT CAPTIVE PROPAGATION!

p.s.; my blue Linka has made it past the one week mark & seems happy, wish me luck! tongue.gif

canadawest
03-05-2002, 02:09 AM
Glad to be a part of the solution for captive propagation, and glad to hear a couple more of my little grandchildren are doing well.

In a related matter, papa Bangaii has released most of his latest brood. So far there are 11 teeny tiny little Bangaii babies in the nursery tank, and it looks like papa has a couple more he's still hanging onto for safe keeping. (Maybe he just can't let go?)

Anyways, I expect a brood of around 15 this time as opposed to the 20 orgininal born the previous time. Hopefully I can retain a much higher initial survival rate on this brood based on the assumption that a smaller brood will lend itself to healthier offspring.

If anyone is still interested in getting tank raised Bangaii Cardinals, there are a few available through Tim at Seacare.org or you can wait 6-7 weeks to choose from my current brood.

And congrats Todd on the Blue linkia. In my experience if it makes it past the first week without disintegrating, it'll probably live a long healthy life in your tank.

canadawest
03-09-2002, 03:38 AM
Well I was completely off in my prediction of the size of this latest brood. And it appears the size of the brood doesn't have as much of an impact on the health of the babies as I suspected because:

I've got 20 great looking baby Bangaii fry swimming around in the nursery tank again!!!

I thought the brood would be much smaller because at a count of 11 it seemed the male had spit out most of them, but it's amazing how small the babies are, and how many more were stil in his mouth. If you have seen an adult Bangaii Cardinal before, try to imagine 20 mini-Bangaiis in it's mouth? Truly remarkable.

I don't want to jinx it, but so far this has been the healthiest brood to date. It's been almost a week since the first fry were released, and no losses thus far Whereas in the previous brood there was at least one loss per day for the first week. I anticipate a much higher survival rate this time, perhaps even 100%, as opposed to the 50% survival rate of the last brood.

Great looking babies. All are well formed, active swimmers, healthy eaters. I'll try to give more updates as the babies mature.

spikehs
03-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Lets see some pics of them!

canadawest
03-10-2002, 04:26 AM
Sorry Spike, but I lost my digital camera priviledges when I lost my job a couple months back.

So I don't have pics of the current brood, but here are a couple photos from a previous brood...

http://www3.telus.net/my_universe/images/fry1124.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/my_universe/images/fry1124-2.JPG

Sushiman
03-11-2002, 03:55 AM
an update on my two little darlins'...boy the grow quick! Fatter & active as can be. Well worth the drive to Surrey.
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif tongue.gif
-Sushi.

canadawest
03-19-2002, 10:51 PM
Another update on the latest brood.

They are almost 3 weeks old and doing very well. Healthy and active feeders and swimmers. There are 18 left from the original 20 hatched.

Notwithstanding any further natural selection I beleive that all 18 will survive to adulthood, which will make this by far the most sucessful brood to date.

Reminder, anyone interested in buying some aquacultured Bangaiis for your own tank, this brood will be big enough for new homes in approximately 4-5 weeks.