PDA

View Full Version : New DIY Fuge Lighting

phillybean
01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Recently upgraded my tank lighting to 250 watt from 175. Had brand new XM 10k bulbs kicking around so I figured I'd put them to use. I tried to put both of them on but just wasn't able to make space. Once I re-do my plumbing I will add the second one.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i158/phillybean/TankShots023.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i158/phillybean/TankShots022.jpg

I should be able to grow Cheato a big faster now eh...

Phanman
01-20-2009, 10:29 PM
well it will definitely grow faster, lol. But do you think the power consumption is worth it then going with a reg 60w bulb or something along those lines?

JDigital
01-20-2009, 10:32 PM
i might do this with my 175W mh if I can't sell it! LOL No reflector eh?

brizzo
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I should be able to grow Cheato a big faster now eh...

May as well put some frags in there :P

mark
01-20-2009, 10:57 PM
might be a little overkill (I'm getting a good Chaeto crop from a 20g just with a 23W CF).

Okguy
01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
might be a little overkill (I'm getting a good Chaeto crop from a 20g just with a 23W CF).

+1

Most algae grows best in the 6500k range and lower. You might actually inhibit growth with that kind of lighting. Be a good place for frags though :mrgreen:

phillybean
01-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Heh, I had a 10k Fresh Water Grow Light on there before. Tank has been running with Cheato since June and I have never pruned it. I'm gonna grow Xenia in there in the future as well. Lost my colony when my Nitrates spiked :(

saltynuts
01-21-2009, 12:19 AM
what about heat?
fuge light on all night then more heat in the day!

phillybean
01-21-2009, 06:17 AM
I never really had a problem with heat. The hottest my tank has ever got was 82.5 and that was when it was +35 outside with MH on. After that I ran a room fan pointing at the sump with the stand doors open and it never went past 82 again.

It is in a small room though, so if needed I can add a small air conditioner to bring the temp down. Maybe I could even run that off my ACJr :)

phillybean
01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
So after the first night, everything went well. I made some AWESOME tinfoil reflectors (real reflectors will happen someday). I did notice however that the pH dropped quite a bit. From 8.4 in the day to 8.1. Still more than acceptable, if not better, however it has never dropped so low overnight before. I would have thought it would have been the opposite. Any thoughts?

Okguy
01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
So after the first night, everything went well. I made some AWESOME tinfoil reflectors (real reflectors will happen someday). I did notice however that the pH dropped quite a bit. From 8.4 in the day to 8.1. Still more than acceptable, if not better, however it has never dropped so low overnight before. I would have thought it would have been the opposite. Any thoughts?

My thoughts is that it should of gone the other way as well. I have a couple of ideas why it may have gone down.

1) the algae is adjusting to the increase in lights and will start making more oxygen from the CO2 as it adjusts.

2) Too intense of a light and the algae isn't going to produce as much oxygen from the CO2.

When people start to get algae breakouts in their main tanks, one of the most common suggestions is the change the bulbs. This may be what is happening with the drop in PH. But by no means am I an expert :mrgreen:.

HTH

Kevin

dixgomez
01-29-2009, 06:54 PM
That is too large for my tank but,it looks really great on yours man....

fencer
01-29-2009, 08:45 PM
That bulb looks awefully close to the water and that is not considering the electrical wiring either