PDA

View Full Version : Magnets !

Buccaneer
05-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Got my magnet ( Tigershark ) from Mracroman at RC and it is awesome! ... seems he has a few left so if any are interested I can vouch for him and they are great magnets ... just specify acrylic or glass and thickness of the tank walls ( early in the thread it tells which magnet for tank size etc )

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178715&perpage=25&pagenumber=14

Cheers

Aquattro
05-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Steve, what was your cost delivered?

Buccaneer
05-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Hey Brad ... it was 78US I think ( will check paypal to be sure ) ... this is for 5/8" to 3/4 " ... they dont recommend getting one that is stronger than recommended

Cheers

spikehs
05-23-2003, 01:06 AM
wow, thats a hellva savings thats like half price (unless i am looking at the wrong one) was there any brokerage or extra fees?

Buccaneer
05-23-2003, 01:52 AM
I think it was $10 Cdn when it was delivered ... I know it was a smoking deal ... got extra pads too

Cheers

Quinn
05-23-2003, 01:56 AM
these are those insanely good ones right? are they really worth over $100 CDN?

Buccaneer
05-23-2003, 02:00 AM
It is hands down the BEST magnet I have ever owned ... it even comes with a warning about getting your hand caught between them and " keep away from children " ... you have to slide them together or it could easily break glass ... it is a workout to clean the glass but at least I dont have to use a scraper :cool:

Cheers

spikehs
05-23-2003, 02:01 AM
how does it do on corraline?

Buccaneer
05-23-2003, 02:03 AM
It works on anything that sticks to glass including coralline ... oh yea ... it floats too !

Cheers

Buccaneer
05-23-2003, 02:18 AM
spikehs ... I saw your post at RC ... the razor to get the coralline off to start might be sage advice on 1/4" glass and then the magnet to keep it off on a regular basis ... you wont have any trouble keeping up with the magnet after that

Cheers

spikehs
05-23-2003, 02:21 AM
sweet...now all i need is some $$. I will get it from JL i think (some time anyways) the savings isn't that much for the piranah (sp?)

Aquattro
05-23-2003, 02:40 AM
Steve, I was curious what it cost you when all ws said and done. Tax, duty, any special magnet importing fees, etc :razz:

Buccaneer
05-23-2003, 02:43 AM
Hey Brad ... CDN $111.88 + $10 duty with 2 extra sets of pads

Cheers

Aquattro
05-23-2003, 02:53 AM
That's certainly a large savings!!

Riotfishdude
05-24-2003, 02:59 AM
i dont see the need for magnets like these in a properly kept setup,if you have gunk,algae's growing on your glass, wouldnt the best thing to do be upgrading your skimmer?,i run an Aerofoamer on my 130g FOWLR tank,messy fish,no algae,clean my tank glass weekly with $10 Hagen magnets,even though theres nothing to clean,no magnet is going to take off coraline,i use a razor blade (good ones,wife is a hair stylist),these magnets are pretty expensive when that money is better spent solving your algae problems.....JMO for those looking to drop big $ on glass magnets...spend it on a skimmer!.......Riot......

Aquattro
05-24-2003, 04:44 AM
Just an FYI, these magnets do take off coralline. Really easily too!! I agree though, they are a lot of money :eek:

Buccaneer
05-24-2003, 05:11 AM
.....JMO for those looking to drop big $ on glass magnets...spend it on a skimmer!.......Riot......

I did not intend for this thread to be a debate on the pros or cons of a magnet to a reef aquarium but maybe you could DIY the skimmer and then have enough left over for a decent magnet ( the rest of us might not have hair stylist wives :smile: )

I have used the Hagen magnets but with 5/8" glass it would fall off all the time and then I would have to walk around to the back of tank room ( tank built into the wall ) reach in up to my armpits to get the magnet and rinse it off and then start all over again :rolleyes: ... pain in the arse

This magnet wont disengage unles you literally pull it off the glass and then the inside magnet floats to the top :biggrin:

I am happy with it and for those that use magnets to clean the glass this one is the best I have used so far

Cheers

Quinn
05-24-2003, 05:20 AM
i don't get the hair stylist joke. :question:

Buccaneer
05-24-2003, 05:22 AM
,no magnet is going to take off coraline,i use a razor blade (good ones,wife is a hair stylist..

This is where the hairstylist joke came from

Quinn
05-24-2003, 05:26 AM
ah i missed that. i thought you were implying hair stylists are rich, and based on what mine says, that really isn't one of the perks of the job :razz:

Jack
05-24-2003, 08:16 AM
It's something you buy when you have nothing left to upgrade :mrgreen:

...and I'm pretty sure those ones take off coralline. It's impressive.

My hagen magnets left a rust ring when I left them in the tank too, ha, well on my old tank that is.

Riotfishdude
05-24-2003, 11:28 PM
if those things can take off coraline,then i take it back!,that is impressive...

would sound like i would really need to eat my wheaties to be able to move it around if its that strong,think i would be to scared that i would pull the glass right off!....lol.....Riot....