PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Assessor sick...

Whatigot
01-20-2009, 02:55 PM
When I had a chance to have a good look at this guy after bringing him home from the LFS he had been at for a couple months, I noticed a white milky substance covering his face...
It was not apparent under the LFS light but quite obvious under my phoenixes.

I was a little concerned, but figured I would feed him selcon soaked food for a while along with salifert dry food to keep him vitamin rich and full to see what some good, direct feedings and nobody messing with him (very peaceful community tank) might do to improve his situation.

The milkyness did clear off of his face, but now that it is mostly gone, what is left looks pretty dramatic...

I'll try and get some pictures, but it looks like the same milky white substance has formed on the top of his head...
Doesn't seem to affecting him in any way, still the most active fish in my tank and a big eater but I am concerned with how ugly the affectation is.

I'll snap some pics tonight, but for now this is the best description I can offer and I'm just looking for advice to research and see what some of you more experienced fish keepers might think.

The area affected is the top of the head, the gills don't seem to be affected, just above the eyes and between the gills.
There are white/gray almost cottony looking things, almost like very large ich that seem to be eating away at the fish..
some parts are flat lying, some are protruding above the fishes skin but they are all the same shape/color.

I am pretty inexperienced with fish disease, would really appreciate some help here.
Really like the fish.
thanks guys.

naesco
01-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Your fish appears to have true fungus which is easily cleared up with treatment with Saltwater Maroxy by Mardel Labs. Careful so you are buying the right product.
You need to treat it in a QT.

Whatigot
01-20-2009, 05:39 PM
yeah...
I have a qt ready to go...
what I am hoping to do is take some photos and see what you and oithers think after having a look.

Thank you for your opinion.
My best guess is fungal infection, most likely caused by the stress of being in an lfs for a couple months...

I would hate to misdiagnose and then mistreat, so please stay tuned for a photo this evening or tomorrow to help me confirm,

Thanks again for the input.

Whatigot
02-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Okay..
Just an update to the fuzzy fish I had...
I spot fed him brine, mysis and blood worms soaked in selcon along with salifert energy plus pellets and he started to improve all on his own.
I tried to catch him, but thought I was stressing him out so much that I was likely going to kill him trying.

He wasn't showing any signs of being ill other than the affected white fuzzy area, so I left him, took extra care to make sure he ate and 2 weeks later, he is 100%.
No sign of the infection at all and coloration on the area that was effected has returned to normal.

christyf5
02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Wow thats awesome!! :cool:

Whatigot
02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I watched him daily, I usually feed my reef every couple of days, but I was feeding twice a day up until he got better.
Hows that for luck eh?

The only reason I decided to let him be was because by the time I had posted from the time I first noticed, he had already shown improvement so I thought I might be better off just doing what had seems to be working so far (and was easier too...lol)

Very happy he has recovered, definitely my favorite fish after my male gramma.

BlueAbyss
02-03-2009, 06:08 PM
This is sooo good to hear, its nice when things clear up on their own.

The wait and see method is best if the fish is otherwise healthy, eating, and active, IMO. I love Assessors too... glad he made it! :biggrin: