PDA

View Full Version : impulse at JL

e46er
01-20-2009, 02:25 AM
so i went to JLs to get some salt and seachem reef builder and some assorted foods......i got all of the above and my dad who had never really been to a saltwater store went crazy when he saw it i got talked into coming home with
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z76/E46Maniac/IMG_2439.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z76/E46Maniac/IMG_2432.jpg
i had a small hair algae issue which the foxface took care of while i was at work i came home and he was tearing it out by the chunks!

JDigital
01-20-2009, 02:54 AM
I'll prolly be making some impulse purchases tomorrow at Red Coral when they get their hawaiian shipment in.. :mrgreen:

Clown Tang looks good..

karazy
01-20-2009, 02:56 AM
haha, i would be to JDigital if i had a tank to put stuff in.
how does 30 pom pom crabs sound in a JBJ picotope??? :lol:

e46er
01-20-2009, 03:09 AM
yea thanks hes hard to get a picture of he never stays still i dont think the MH shimmer helps either hes about 3" right now. Im grabbing the smallest fish i can now so i can watch them grow i dont see the logic in paying more for an older larger fish

JDigital
01-20-2009, 03:18 AM
haha.. I follow the same thought process.. buy em small, make them fat.. :mrgreen:

e46er
01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
ok been a few days the foxface has settled in nicely and is interacting with the flame angel and clowns on the other hand the clown tang isnt scared anymore of hands by the glass but seems like he is on speed.....first sw tank first tang
is this normal to be hyperactive?

also he doesnt seem to have an intrest in pellet foods or frozen but he picks at the rocks and seems to be ok. will he eventually eat i have formula 2 pellets formula 2 frozen,frozen mysis and life spectrum threa pellets.

he also seems to dive at sand and then brush sideways against it he has no visual markings or anything to think its bacteria no ich spots anything. my dad said trout do this when they have something on them to brush it off.

DJ_drew
01-22-2009, 01:59 AM
when a fish rubs up against something doesnt matter what its usually the first sign of something along the lines of ick

and in my expirience tangs are avid swimmers they need lots of room because they love to swim and swim fast
lol

Mikee
01-22-2009, 02:37 AM
Nice! i wish J&L would update their new and noteworthy page more like before :(.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-22-2009, 03:24 AM
If he is flashing then its most likely ich. You just don't see the spots yet.

naesco
01-22-2009, 03:43 AM
ok been a few days the foxface has settled in nicely and is interacting with the flame angel and clowns on the other hand the clown tang isnt scared anymore of hands by the glass but seems like he is on speed.....first sw tank first tang
is this normal to be hyperactive?

also he doesnt seem to have an intrest in pellet foods or frozen but he picks at the rocks and seems to be ok. will he eventually eat i have formula 2 pellets formula 2 frozen,frozen mysis and life spectrum threa pellets.

he also seems to dive at sand and then brush sideways against it he has no visual markings or anything to think its bacteria no ich spots anything. my dad said trout do this when they have something on them to brush it off.

FOOD
You should be feeding your tang nori algae which you can buy in an Asian market. Soak the nori in garlic extreme and selcon which will help it fight ich.
FLASHING
Your tang is irritated by either ich or flukes. Look carefully on the fish.
Another cause if low PH. Check to see that it is at the correct level and do a water change if necessary.

e46er
01-22-2009, 04:18 AM
ph is 8.3

he looks perfect no white spots or anything on him but they make come in the next few days

nori algae at asian markets eh? ok well im out in maple ridge does anyone know if the market by big Als in coq carries nori or the market in metrotown? or hopefully anything closer to maple ridge area?? are asian markets the only place to get it?

new but handy
01-22-2009, 05:00 AM
Safeway probably has it super store for sure walmart? almost all grocery stores. It's only seaweed! for sushi

spoot
01-22-2009, 07:05 AM
ph is 8.3

he looks perfect no white spots or anything on him but they make come in the next few days

nori algae at asian markets eh? ok well im out in maple ridge does anyone know if the market by big Als in coq carries nori or the market in metrotown? or hopefully anything closer to maple ridge area?? are asian markets the only place to get it?

The korean markets will have a good selection. For nori, make sure you get the "Dried" one and not the "Roasted", as the roasted one usually contains flavourings. You can also get other dried seaweed called "Laver". It will be pretty shriveled up, but when re-hydrated it is long seaweed leafs (again get the "dried" ones).

e46er
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM
ok thanks guys!!

fishoholic
01-22-2009, 04:55 PM
My clown tang pretty much only eats PE mysis. I have had him for almost a year now and he just recently started eating nori. I got lucky since my clown tang was eating right away and I have never had any problems with him. I found out (after I already bought mine) that most clown tangs die within the first few months after purchase. Apparently it's very hard to get them to eat and most starve to death :sad: I hope yours makes it and starts eating.

naesco
01-22-2009, 05:38 PM
My clown tang pretty much only eats PE mysis. I have had him for almost a year now and he just recently started eating nori. I got lucky since my clown tang was eating right away and I have never had any problems with him. I found out (after I already bought mine) that most clown tangs die within the first few months after purchase. Apparently it's very hard to get them to eat and most starve to death :sad: I hope yours makes it and starts eating.

You are correct Laurie. For some reason clown tangs do well for a while than die for no apparent reason.
Those that do survive end up being holy terrors in the tank.
Not a good choice but we all have been guilty of impulse buying in the past.

fishoholic
01-22-2009, 06:13 PM
You are correct Laurie. For some reason clown tangs do well for a while than die for no apparent reason.
Those that do survive end up being holy terrors in the tank.
Not a good choice but we all have been guilty of impulse buying in the past.

I found out about their life expectancy after the fact or I probably wouldn't of gotten one. However (like I said, I got lucky) mine eats like a pig and is very peaceful in my tank. He is still small only about 4" but he gets along with everyone, even the 8" Sohal (who amazingly is also very peaceful) that we added 5 months after him.

lastlight
01-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Sohal AND a Clown?! Wow you are truly walking a razorwire there. Glad you've had good luck thus far.

Ok just checked out your slidehow...Also a Vlamingi and Naso. I swear you have all the fish I've ever wanted in there! It will be interesting to see how that experiement goes when these four near adulthood...

fishoholic
01-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Sohal AND a Clown?! Wow you are truly walking a razorwire there. Glad you've had good luck thus far.

Ok just checked out your slidehow...Also a Vlamingi and Naso. I swear you have all the fish I've ever wanted in there! It will be interesting to see how that experiement goes when these four near adulthood...

I bought the Sohal because it's my boyfriends favorite fish I thought for sure we would have to remove the clown tang but shockingly they get along great. I have had the clown for almost a year and he is 4" the Sohal is pretty much an adult and is 8" I have had him for 6 months. The naso is 7" and I have had him for over a year we just got the valmingi before Christmas and he was about an 1" when we got him and now he's 3"! That's how fast they grow. The naso and him get along great too.

Maybe it's the size differences or maybe it's because they are in a 230g with lots of swimming room but enough LR to hide in or maybe I just got lucky and I have (for the most part) peaceful tangs. My regal is the only "sort of" mean one, she doesn't fight with the other tangs but she picked on my blue ring angel (before we move him to the other tank) quite a bit.