PDA

View Full Version : ato or no ato

tgoeujon
01-19-2009, 03:28 AM
im going to build a new sump and am considering an auto top off this time to make life easier but i havent actually seen one functioning and was wondering if someone could give me a step by step or pic by pic on the system and how it works

Whatigot
01-19-2009, 03:25 PM
ATO will make your life better.
period.

set up is easy, I use a tunze osmolator.
no drilling required, all you do is mount the infrared sensor at the appropriate level and then put the pump into some r/o water with the return also mounted in your tank and your off...

aside from my aquacontroller, best piece of equipment I have ever bought.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I use the JBJ one and IMO is one of the more important pieces of equipment on a tank. Keeps everything stable, keep water level the same for your skimmer, ect.

Mine is as simple as having the float valves in the sump at the level I want the water and then a 30G garbage can behind my stand. RO water that is pumped into the sump through tubing with a maxijet 1200 when the float valve trips. Thats it. I fill up the garbage can about once every week and a half or so. I tend to just top it off randomly but it nice not to have to worry about top off water all the time.

fkshiu
01-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Once you use a good ATO, you'll wonder how you ever got by without one.

I use an Osmolator.

mark
01-19-2009, 04:38 PM
After now having one can't see now going without.

I'm just using a humidifier float valve from HD, mounted on a bracket attached diagonally in the corner of the sump so I wouldn't have to drill the side.

Though I'm using the float valve connected directly to my ro/di (no TDS creep btw) it could just as easily be hooked up to a storage container above the sump.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/float.jpg

Trigger Man
01-19-2009, 06:10 PM
after reading these posts I think I've got to get a ato unit instead of manually doing it. For some reason I always thought it would be more complicated to set up.

Snaz
01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
If you build or buy be very carefull. There are lots of horror stories on nano-reef.com where ATO have killed the tanks.

A good one is invaluable I'm sure but if not built correctly a turbo snail can kill your reef.

randallino
01-20-2009, 03:56 AM
Osmolater is the way to go...
If it runs for more than 5 minutes it shuts down. There's also a high water level alarm built in.
RC

BCOrchidGuy
01-20-2009, 08:32 PM
I use a cheap gravity fed pond float, Kent makes one and I think similar is available from other places, it goes in your sump and total cost was under $30. I've been using the same one for years.

Douglas

tgoeujon
01-20-2009, 11:29 PM
i definately want to get one but i dont understand how they work still, sometimes im just to dense i guess lol

xtreme
01-20-2009, 11:36 PM
i definately want to get one but i dont understand how they work still, sometimes im just to dense i guess lol

As other people have said the osmolator is great. I picked one up a couple weeks ago and love it. As mentioned all you have to do is mount the optical sensor inside your sump at the height you want your water level. As soon as your level drops below the sensor it will turn the pump on and top up for you. This system is not for use directly with your ro/di. You need to have a reservoir full of top up water and the pump is placed in there. Currently I fill up my reservoir weekly, much better than having to top up daily. HTH

randallino
01-20-2009, 11:50 PM
A float valve is much like the one in your toilet... when it drains it fills up again. The only problem is that they require regular cleaning, or they may become jammed and a overfill is a possibility.

My 2cents.

Snaz
01-21-2009, 12:59 AM
A float valve is much like the one in your toilet... when it drains it fills up again. The only problem is that they require regular cleaning, or they may become jammed and a overfill is a possibility.
Or a Turbosnail may lift the float and your water reserve drains into your tank. The sonic sensors are better.

banditpowdercoat
01-21-2009, 02:19 AM
I made a ATO with some parts form ebay. A couple float switches, and an Omron timer H3CR and wiring base. I acctually had the timer, but the float switches cost me $2 ea I think. I have a 20g rubbermaid garbage pail that I house the RO/DI water. The ATO circut runs a little pump in the bucket that keeps the sump full. Cheap, easy and reliable.

I can help ya make one if needed

tgoeujon
01-21-2009, 02:51 AM
bandit i think i may take you up on that offer sometime in the not so distant future

lorenz0
01-21-2009, 03:00 AM
i picked mine up just because i was getting sick of filling up the tank every day. it actually was a pain in the ass. when you forget to fill up one day cause your tired it comes and kicks you in the butt with a pump beathing in air

wolf_bluejay
01-21-2009, 03:50 AM
I ran for years without an ato. Then I finally put on it, it was a "kit" for about $40.

Just a few float switches, a relay, power supply. Just add a small pump like the aqualifter. The kit came with directions, and they are pretty easy to do if you are not very handy with electronics.

As i have had a little flood that the wife didn't like very much, I went a little nuts. I have a fresh water tank that gets topped off with a manual valve and a float switch in case i forget. From there, if the level in the sump tgets low, it turns on the pump and adds water from the top off tank. I have an extra switch in the sump for "saftey sake" and one in the topoff tank so as to not run the pump dry.

Over all it was under $80 buck for everything, and took about 1 hour to setup (except for the custom topoff tank). And the best thing I have ever added to the tank. Now, I just top up the tank once every 2 weeks, and it keeps it perfect.
If you're in kamloops. feel free to poke around at how it is setup. I can even give you the pretty picture directions that it came with.... They do have a few nice photos that make it all make sense.

phillybean
01-21-2009, 06:24 AM
I have a very simple set up that works great for me.

I have a 20 gallon brute with Kalk. I drilled a hole in the lid and ran a 1/4" Hose to the sump. I then added a 1/4" valve and set my drip rate. I left for a week and never had an problems with it.

Since Kalk is my main Calcium additive, I didn't want to go with a Aqualifter due to the Kalk plugging them up. A Maxi-Jet is another option I could have gone with, however I was worried it would add too much at once and mess up my pH.

I check the drip daily with my other daily maintence (feed, dose Vodka, Sugar, Zeo and check skimmer). Rarely do I need to tweak it.