PDA

View Full Version : QT Tank Set Up help

Koresample
01-18-2009, 11:29 PM
I just got a 10 gallon tank with basic lights, hang on the back filter, heater etc. I'm looking to get some ideas on setting it up for a QT. what should i put in the filter 9i planned on running it in my display tank for several weeks to 'seed' the filter. should i make up fresh water, use water from my display tank etc etc. How lon do you typically QT a new fish or piece of coral?

thanks!

new but handy
01-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Hey I use water from my dt to fill my qt and I keep the sponge from the filter in the sump untill I need it. Most people will say to qt for 2-6 weeks the longer the better. I always find if the fish is in great shape I tend to put him in the dt after about 2 weeks.

awa1979
01-19-2009, 12:32 AM
I use old tank water for the QT, mine is just a 10 gallon bare bottom with some mugs for hiding.

I will quarantine anywhere from 2-6 weeks depending on the fish, if they eat and show no illness I will usually put them in after 2 weeks, any illness during quarantine then they stay in for a full 6 weeks min.

Trigger Man
01-19-2009, 01:07 AM
For QTing I use 75-80% water from my main tank and I leave the sponge from my qt filter in my sump for atleast a week before setting up my QT tank. The sponge is the only media I put in the QT filter, you may also want to have a airstone or a small powerhead in there as well.

Koresample
01-19-2009, 05:51 AM
thanks for the input,

I dont have a sump, only a canister filter, skimmer and powerhead. Should i just put a sponge filter in the qt tanks filter and hang it off the back of my DT for a couple weeks to get the bacteria developing in it? When the fish are in the QT, how often should i change the water, once a week (20%)?

Trigger Man
01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
If you have an overflow you can put the sponge in there if there is room, if not you can put the filter over you DT for a bit (You can also just try to hide the sponge in some rockwork, as all you really want is the benificial bacteria to start forming on the sponge so by putting it in some rockwork it will keep your DT appearance look better). As for water changes you will have to monitor the QT tank water paramaters (ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite) for signs of when to do a waterchange. I tend to change 1 empty saltwater bucket worth of water every 4-5 days on a 33 g QT (I get the water from my DT and add it to the QT tank, and then add a fresh bucket of saltwater to my display tank).