PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Bangaii Cardinal

Moogled
01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know what this disease is? It started when my water quality went down and the Bangaii had started out with a small scratch but it's been getting progressively worse.

So far I've tried to increase water changes, feed it chopped garlic with fish food, and removed my carbon. I don't know what this disease is but it seems to be some sort of fungal infection.

I took these pictures after the fish had settled in to "sleep."

Any help is appreciated.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF1817.JPG

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCF1818.JPG

Keri
01-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Could it be Lymphocystis?

Moogled
01-18-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure, Keri.

When I look at the wound, it looks like something actually bore a nasty hole into its flesh, with the edges being very tattered.

Can HLLE do something like this? IME, as HLLE suggests, the area looks eroded but this is not the case with the Bangaii.

Keri
01-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Unpleasant for sure!

christyf5
01-19-2009, 04:28 PM
How is the fish doing?

Not sure if this is feasible but I showed this pic to a friend of mine who has dealt with a wide variety of fish diseases. He thinks this is a bacterial infection which could be treated with either erythromycin or tetracycline. I think they come commercially as maracyn or maracyn II. Maracyn II is likely your best bet.

You'll probably need to get the fish out and put it in quarantine to treat it, I wouldn't treat the whole tank as it will screw with the life in your rock and sand.

Hope this helps.

Moogled
01-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Keri and christy, thanks for the replies and advice.

Last night, the wound area actually had a clear air bubble over it; I believed it was probably due to the wound being near the gill and the expelled air was being trapped?

Unfortunately, the fish lost its life to the powerhead this morning, most likely due to being weakened by the infection. I'm a bit disappointed since I've had it for over a year and it was even spawning eggs with its mate.

It's okay, as this hobby is about learning anyway, and I'll be sure to make things better for the next Bangaii that I buy :).

christyf5
01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Doubtful about the trapped air. Likely it was edema (fluid buildup in the tissues/under the skin).

Sorry to hear about your little dude. :cry:

naesco
01-20-2009, 03:40 AM
How is the fish doing?

Not sure if this is feasible but I showed this pic to a friend of mine who has dealt with a wide variety of fish diseases. He thinks this is a bacterial infection which could be treated with either erythromycin or tetracycline. I think they come commercially as maracyn or maracyn II. Maracyn II is likely your best bet.

You'll probably need to get the fish out and put it in quarantine to treat it, I wouldn't treat the whole tank as it will screw with the life in your rock and sand.

Hope this helps.

Both of these are not effective in saltwater.
Neomycin is the only one I have had success with but there may be others