PDA

View Full Version : 14K vs. 11K ?

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
My lighting is a mix of T5 and MH. First the T5 actincs come on. Only 48 watts, so not much over my tank. Then the T5 daylight bulbs which are 160 watts and 11K. Then finally the 800 watts of Hamilton 14K MH.

What I have noticed is that the tank looks so much better under the T5's then MH. The corals coloration looks brighter...almost softer but at the same time brighter. Hard to explain. Then the halides come on and kind of make everything look the same :( There is much less difference between the purples and pinks in the tank once the halides come on. The only corals that look better are the green digis but its not that much really. When just the T5's are on though I miss the shimmer.

I know why this is happening, so I think I should change my MH bulbs to a whiter light. But what I don't know is which one...I was thinking 10K but that may not work either.

Any suggestions? I need something in a 400 watt bulb that would give me a similar effect to the 11K giesemann T5's I am using.

Pan
01-19-2009, 08:23 AM
My lighting is a mix of T5 and MH. First the T5 actincs come on. Only 48 watts, so not much over my tank. Then the T5 daylight bulbs which are 160 watts and 11K. Then finally the 800 watts of Hamilton 14K MH.

What I have noticed is that the tank looks so much better under the T5's then MH. The corals coloration looks brighter...almost softer but at the same time brighter. Hard to explain. Then the halides come on and kind of make everything look the same :( There is much less difference between the purples and pinks in the tank once the halides come on. The only corals that look better are the green digis but its not that much really. When just the T5's are on though I miss the shimmer.

I know why this is happening, so I think I should change my MH bulbs to a whiter light. But what I don't know is which one...I was thinking 10K but that may not work either.

Any suggestions? I need something in a 400 watt bulb that would give me a similar effect to the 11K giesemann T5's I am using.
try a diff spectrum halide, like a 20k or 22k...there is a 13k bulb and a thread on rc...if i can find it i will post it. try searching....they were talking about the same thing you mentioned....halides washing out the t5's (personally i think this is a problem with supplemental lighting and t5's. I think VHO is far superior..it doesn't get washed out by the halides. Well it does, but ever so slightly....

10k would be to bright, but you might try one of the softer 10k's....if you have se i would grab xm's.