PDA

View Full Version : Sally lightfoot crab

reef bound
01-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Just wondering what anyone thinks about a Sally lightfoot in a reef tank. I had one in my Red Sea Max, then moved it to my 180g mixed reef, where he decided he liked life in my overflow. Hadn't seen him for months, so assumed he was a goner. Just working on the tank and found and captured it, but in the meantime I had read some bad reports on them when they got older. He did fine with my corals and fish before, but he is almost a year old now. I could put him in my Red Sea again with my dwarf lion, I don't think he could do much damage there, or should I stick him back in the big tank and take my chances? Any experiences with these guys? Thanks.

Carmen
01-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Mine became quite aggressive. Snatching at the fish and grabbing at my shrimp. I chose the shrimp over the crab! I don't think he could catch any large fish but worried about the little guys getting to close. I also read that the males (which mine was) are more agressive whereas females likely never become fish-hungry.

reef bound
01-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Carmen, how can you tell if they're boy or girl?

Carmen
01-18-2009, 01:05 AM
If you google it you can see pics but if you get a look underside at their belly if there's a V-shape it's a boy. Rounded is girl (I think) . Easiest to see if you have a molt! Or if he/she is crawling up along the glass belly to the glass.

reef bound
01-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks. I think we have a boy! I'm thinking Red Sea bound he is.