PDA

View Full Version : Calcium consumption.

Doug
05-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Just a view on the tanks consumption of calcium over the last little while. Most of my corals have been removed during the flatworm wars and no more will be added until the tanks "exited". :biggrin:

During the last few months, my tank has shown me how much calcium I always believed coralline used.

The only corals using it are the bubble for its base, a cup coral and some remaining monti digita frags. I have been trying to just run on kalk, with my reactor off. My calcium has dropped from about 420ppm to 330ppm.

My tank evaporate a fair bit and its all kalk replaced, at least a couple gals/day, yet it cant meet the demand. I use a pretty heavy mixture also. No idea how some people keep up to their corals demand, with kalk alone, in a large tank.

With my reactor running the last few days, its slowly starting to climb.

My tank has lots of heavily coralline encrusted Fiji rock. As I have always said to those asking how to grow coralline, "be careful what you wish for". :lol:

AJ_77
05-21-2003, 11:33 PM
So, those little white "Asterina" starfish are doing us a favour??
:eek:
(By eating some coralline?)
:confused:

rgardiner
05-22-2003, 12:05 AM
I've been trying to switch from B-ionic to kalk for my 90G (with a light coral load but nuisance-level coraline), and my Ca also drops to about 330, forcing me to bring it back up with B-ionic (to about 380). I was wondering where in heck all the kalk was going - I've also tried using vinegar, following ReefCental recipes, but the kalk still has been inadequate to maintain Ca. I have suspected the coraline was sucking it up, but haven't worried about it too much as my few corals (monti, plate, hammer, one acro frag) have still been growing.

Jack
05-22-2003, 12:18 AM
I can't maintian levels either. :rolleyes:

Canadian Man
05-22-2003, 12:47 AM
You NEED a Reactor Jack :razz: :lol:

Aquattro
05-22-2003, 01:26 AM
I can't maintian levels either. :rolleyes:

I'm workin' on it!!!! :biggrin:

Jack
05-22-2003, 01:37 AM
I'm workin' on it!!!!

I know :cool:

Jon, you should be a salesman :razz:

Doug
05-22-2003, 12:47 PM
I've been trying to switch from B-ionic to kalk for my 90G (with a light coral load but nuisance-level coraline), and my Ca also drops to about 330, forcing me to bring it back up with B-ionic (to about 380). I was wondering where in heck all the kalk was going - I've also tried using vinegar, following ReefCental recipes, but the kalk still has been inadequate to maintain Ca. I have suspected the coraline was sucking it up, but haven't worried about it too much as my few corals (monti, plate, hammer, one acro frag) have still been growing.

I had the exact same problem on another tank a few years ago. Could not cut back on B-Ionic, which I think is a super coralline grower. That and C-Balance.

Here is something interesting though. I was reading on another board, where another reefer, {Sue has one of the nicest sps tanks I have seen}, has done away with her reactor and just uses kalk and a weekly addition of a calcium powder. Her tanks are loaded 180 and 120 sps tanks. :eek:

Although I like my reactor, I sometimes wonder what other metals and such are being added by the dissolved media. Esp when you read some of the reports on heavy metals being stored in our rock and sand.

Skimmerking
05-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Well as you know i have a 280 tank i just love and starting to run mrs wages pickling lime as kalk. And i have is toad tools leathers mushrooms, bubble mushroom, and some polyps. :mrgreen:

Now i have noticed the cute little white marks all over the tank. And so my question to everyone DAD ( DOUG LOWEY) has told me watch out what you wish for :confused: ANd so iam thinking of not running the kalk as my top off and just use normal water as for the top off float switch. But really i don't have any corals that take CAL and but like the purple Corline and dont wanna loose it so whaat does everyone think.

I know i will be getting a call from DAD tonight on i dont listen.

But the good thing is my wife is starting a Daycare at home and i will be having $400 dollARS A MONTH FOR MY SELF yeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa
THAT MEANS WE GET A ro/di UNIT FOR FREE as a write off.
I will get my new lights and new lots of stuff and pay off DAD what i owe him...

And i think i will buy a reactor .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Canadian Man
05-22-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm workin' on it!!!!

I know :cool:

Jon, you should be a salesman :razz:

I am.....kinda :lol:

Canadian Man
05-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Doug, I sometime's think the same thing that you mentioned but since installing my reactor my tank has actually become enjoyable.. It's been about 6 month's now since the reactor has been up and it gives me so much more time to spend with my "growing" family as well as more time enjoying my tank. I found that kalk would not even come close to keeping up with my tank's demands and this was like a year ago before my tank was full of sps.

It's quite astonishing how much calcium/alk the other stuff, besides corals, consume :eek:

Yea for reactors!

Delphinus
05-22-2003, 05:15 PM
My own take on reactors and kalk has me doing a little bit of both.

I personally find the constancy of a reactor to be its biggest selling point. The Ca and Alk levels are closer to constant, rather than a sudden addition and slow depletion on a daily cycle that I was getting when I did two-part additives. I find the corals do better too, despite that the levels aren't always as "good" as what they were when I was doing the two-parts. I truly believe the fact that the levels are constant, i.e., being replaced as fast as they are consumed, on an instantaneous level as opposed to a once-per-day kind of thing, contributes greatly to that.

And, it's great that I don't have to train someone up to do my additions when I go away for a couple of days .. the reactor will stay on the job.

That said, now, I do dose kalk in my topup. Primarily for pH control. I find with the kalk, my pH goes from 8.2 to 8.4 on it's daily swing, and when I stop the pH swing goes to 8.1 to 8.3. Is 0.1 difference worth the effort? I'm not sure. But when I first started dosing kalk after switching to a reactor, my pH was more like 7.9 to 8.2 and that caused different problems (valonia, dinos, hair algae, cyano). So the kalk did definitely help the tank settle in after the reactor. I don't have a refugium on reverse-daylight-photoperiod so I don't have that as a crutch for pH control.

On my other tank (my ritteri tank) I just dose kalk, and it's not near enough to maintain levels for SPS. Luckily, that's not the goal for that tank, so it's not an issue for me, but I thought I'd mention it since it supports Jonathan's and Doug's observations/thoughts on the issue. There are a few small pieces of SPS in that tank, and they grow much slower because the alk/Ca are more like "moderate" as opposed to "ideal." I should also point out that I have had two incidents of SPS bleaching in the last two months on this tank, because the kalk did something screwy (I once found my pH as high as 8.6). Most things tolerated it except my purple montipora digitata. Not sure why the kalk did that because it wasn't a case of it got added too quickly. The corals recovered in a day or two but this DOES illustrate, in my opinion, that kalk is not a risk-free approach to maintaining levels.

Reactors are the only way to go.

cheers

Doug
05-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Mike, a tank will need some kind of calcium supplementation, regardless of livestock. One think I have found over the years, the best hair algae on rock fighter, is lots of coralline. So if the coralline dies, another algae will replace it.

Also many corals, not sps, use calcium. For instance green star polyps, any coral that lays down or grows some sort of base, {not leather types}, consume calcium. Replacing evaporation water with kalk, is the easiest and cheapest way of replacing it. What I am saying here, is if thats all ones tank requires, then you have it made.

C.M., I must also agree I like my reactor, but would like it better if only kalk was needed, but thats not the case, like you. I must admit the reactors ability to add strontium and magnesium, along with many other trace elements is appealing. I always had trouble with magnesium levels, until using a reactor. Plus the stable alk. they produce.

Doug
05-22-2003, 05:23 PM
Tony, I find kalk to keep a constant level, in an low consumption tank. I agree with your view on 2-parts. I have seen many posts on slower growth or even bleaching such as you mention, in tanks that have a problem with fluctuating calcium or alk levels. Also in my own view and from talking with someone like Rodger from Tunze, the kalk effects the pumps and equipment more than reactors. Not sure why. Rodger does not like high alk levels for his Tunze pumps tolerance levels, but I have yet to see a reactor run a tank at much less than 12dkh. Seems thats also a nice level for sps.

Delphinus
05-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear ... yes I do find kalk to keep levels constant, for the most part (as long as it's being constantly added, instead of a "once per day for a few hours" kind of thing). Just not maintainable at 4.0meq/L alk and 400ppm Ca. More like .. well 2.7meq/L and 330ppm in my "low Ca consumption" tank.

I'm really baffled as to why I had two recent incidents. The first time I did not even clue in to the kalk, I thought it was a light shock issue because I was having problems with my bulbs not firing, and it happened just after I had corrected that. The second time, it wasn't a particularly hot day (maybe slightly warmer than others, but not much), so it wasn't a case of a lot of evaporation causing a whole lot of kalk all at once ... In fact, it was so sudden it shocked me. At 6pm I looked into the tank and all was well. Tank temp was fine. I went to the gym, came back, just after lights-out, and the two purple monti piece were white as snow. Everything else was fine. Other SPS in the tank are some acro frags and some hydnophora in there as well. They were fine. But the monti's looked so bad so as they were completely white. I tested the pH with the monitor and it was 8.6. So I found the cause of the bleaching, I think, but I don't know what the cause of the spike was. I have to assume, though, it was related to the kalk. I've since backed off on how much powder I add to my topup bucket, and am hoping that a repeat incident will not happen. Time will tell.

Skimmerking
05-23-2003, 12:26 PM
well i found the purple stuff growing already on my maxi 1200
i cant believe it ...

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: