PDA

View Full Version : Yellow vs. Naso Tang

Kona
01-17-2009, 04:48 AM
I just added a 5" naso into my tank about a week ago, and was wondering if an aggresive yellow tang:twised: will ever stop pestering the naso, and trying to swat it with its spikes. The naso is slightly bigger than the yellow, and i even rearranged the aquascaping so it wouldnt be so territorial. So far the naso is eating eating fine{nori and mysis}. I wonder if im gonna have to remove the yellow for a week or two.

untamed
01-17-2009, 05:09 AM
I wouldn't worry about it over the long term. As long as the Naso continues to eat and isn't injured, it will soon outgrow the yellow (as well as develop his own spikes). The yellow will learn to leave him alone.

naesco
01-17-2009, 05:09 AM
I just added a 5" naso into my tank about a week ago, and was wondering if an aggresive yellow tang:twised: will ever stop pestering the naso, and trying to swat it with its spikes. The naso is slightly bigger than the yellow, and i even rearranged the aquascaping so it wouldnt be so territorial. So far the naso is eating eating fine{nori and mysis}. I wonder if im gonna have to remove the yellow for a week or two.44

What is the size of your tank?

dkcrx
01-17-2009, 05:13 AM
how many tangs do you have? seems that more is beter providing your tank big enough. I have 14 in a 300gal

Trigger Man
01-17-2009, 06:37 PM
You can try the mirror trick, I use it whenever adding a new fish in my tank as my kole loves to bully new arrivals. With the mirror in there the Kole then spends more time attacking it's own reflection rather then the new arrival.

sphelps
01-17-2009, 10:17 PM
You can try the mirror trick, I use it whenever adding a new fish in my tank as my kole loves to bully new arrivals. With the mirror in there the Kole then spends more time attacking it's own reflection rather then the new arrival.
haha fish are stupid :wink:

Trigger Man
01-17-2009, 10:22 PM

I love it, I remember back when I would always move a bunch of rockwork and hope for the best, now i can be lazy and put up a mirror or 2 and not have to worry (knock on wood that it continues to work that way).

phreezee
01-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Never thought of that, I'm going to try a locker mirror with suction cups on the back of it for the next new arrival! Thanks!

Usually different shaped tangs can get along, but yellows/purples can be a bit aggressive. Order of addition to the tank should be considered, so you can try a timeout in the sump for the yellow instead of just getting rid of it.

naesco
01-18-2009, 03:46 AM

No, tangs are not stupid!!
You need to put your camera away in a drawer somewhere for a few weeks and start connecting with your fish.

Kona
01-18-2009, 04:39 AM
I have a 180g with a 4" regal, 4.5" yellow and the naso. The yellow seems to be letting up a bit so far.

naesco
01-18-2009, 04:49 AM
The aggression will likely subside as they get used to each other as your tank is large enough to accommodate them.
In the meantime feed the yellow tang at one end of the tank and the naso at the other so they dont fight over food.
As the naso is stressed make sure that you are feeding garlic extract and selcon soaked food to avoid an ich outbreak and, feed more frequently.
Good luck

my2rotties
01-19-2009, 03:53 PM
I would bet my money on the Naso winning any fight. My large Emperor angel was a tank bully and the Naso and others let him do it. Then one day the Naso got sick of it, and beat him silly. She pushed him into a rock side ways and laid into him harsh. I was afraid she might kill him with her razor blades. She whacked him with her tail twice, and I was pretty worried about him... He had a couple of big gashes but healed up overnight.

His tank bully days are over now, and he acts like a model fish now.