PDA

View Full Version : Cycling confusion/odd readings

Fox
01-17-2009, 12:10 AM
I am currently cycling my 33 gal tank with live rock and live sand. I started cycling it last weekend and started taking readings on Wednesday. The first time I tested for both ammonia and nitrites (rookie mistake) and the readings looked like this:
Wednesday
Ammonia:what looked like between 0-0.25
Nitrites:what looked like between 0-0.05

Thursday
Ammonia:2.5

Friday
Ammonia:0.25
Nitrites:0.05

So I thought on Thursday that my ammonia was spiking which was why I tested for nitrites again today but now I am no so sure what's going on considering I seem to back to the way it was on Wednesday. Is it more likely that I read he reading wrong or recorded incorrectly or could something else be going on normal of otherwise.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Marlin65
01-17-2009, 01:03 AM
It could be true check to see where your Nitrates (NO3) are at. Ones your ammonium and Nitrites are zero you are done your cycle, but take it slow on adding things. Give things time to adjust.

Jason McK
01-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Do you have anything in the tank to help kick the cycle up. Like a piece of shrimp or something? That will typically help

J

Fox
01-17-2009, 06:18 AM
Ya I am In no rush...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing up my tests. I might try the shrimp. Does it have to be raw or just any shrimp like you would serve at a party?

new but handy
01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
I used shrimp out of a shrimp ring! My tank is sort of large so I through in about 10. I didn't pull them out I just let the bacteria do their thing. If you set up your tank last weekend from scratch (ie no seeding) then just relax and let nature do her thing. Be patient you've got at least a month before that thing is cycled. Test weekly not daily unless you've got nothing to do! use that month to read and learn and ask questions. I filled my tank in the begining of sept and didn't put anything in untill the middle of oct. Even then I only put in a cuc and a bottle of arctic pods (I want a manderin). I added my first fish in the middle of nov. I could be wrong but I don't think corals effect the nitrogen cycle to much.
Have fun and save your money this hobby is addictive and expensive