PDA

View Full Version : Help ph crazy nuts

fiorano
01-16-2009, 02:32 AM
apparently my pH dropped from 8.00 to 7.15 over the course of 3 hours... is this possible or is my probe shot??? it happened after i dosed some alk i think but i didn't do much more than i normally do. how bad is this for my tank and what's the best way to fix it :(

marie
01-16-2009, 03:57 AM
How do the tanks inhabitants look? If everything appears to be fine then get your ph probe recalibrated.

midgetwaiter
01-16-2009, 04:32 AM
apparently my pH dropped from 8.00 to 7.15 over the course of 3 hours... is this possible or is my probe shot??? it happened after i dosed some alk i think but i didn't do much more than i normally do. how bad is this for my tank and what's the best way to fix it :(

What did you dose and how much? I can think of a couple ways this might happen but you would probably see a lot of white precipitate in the water. Did it get all cloudy?

fiorano
01-16-2009, 06:07 AM
no it was perfectly clear and i added 30 ml of the c-balance alk additive because ive been trying to bump up my alk recently. but i did that around 4 30 today and i added about 25 ml of the calcium around 8 or so. and since i posted last the ph went up to 7.32 and is now down to 7.10 again :( i dont get it. and i will get some calibration solution soon... hopefully thats it. o and everythign in the tank looks fine. well the fish are asleep but there looking normal asleep lol. and all the sps have polyp extension and what not. i also just added a phosphate reactor with rowaphos and carbon in it. it says it could temporarily lower the ph. but i did that on tuesday...

marie
01-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Sometimes you have to go by what the animals tell you. They will usually tell you if your tank is about to go south long before a test kit picks it up. It's a feeling you pick up after months of looking at everything for hours on end and you figure out which inhabitant is the "canary in the gold mine" the one that tells you first that something isn't right.
I'm pretty sure if your ph suddenly dropped to 7.15 then more then one critter would show signs of stress

fiorano
01-16-2009, 06:32 AM
ok thanks well i just go get my probe calibrated and calm down. hahaha thanks for the help marie :)

chevyjaxon
01-16-2009, 10:32 AM
heres a thought my ph went all screwy when my battery was near dead i replaced the battery in my meter and it showed the correct ph again check your battery

fiorano
01-16-2009, 02:42 PM
its a plug in monitor. but there is a reserve battery. maybe ill give it a shot