PDA

View Full Version : Sedra pump issues

mseepman
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I just recently installed my BRS 5 stage RO/DI system and part of my setup was putting a storage container for my DI water down in my crawl space. I wired up an electrical outlet down there to it's own switch up above and then plugged a new Sedra 2500 which sits in my container into the plug. The plan was for me to be able to throw the switch and turn on the pump which then would push water up to me to fill my ATO reservoir, water change buckets, etc.

Today for the 2nd time, when I turned it on, the Sedra wouldn't start. I end up going down into the crawl space and having to take out the impeller and then re-install it, after which everything works fine. This pump was brand new, and it's only sitting in clean water. Upon inspection, there is no build-up of anything in the pump.

Is this a common problem with Sedra's? I've heard of a magnet swell problem, but this pump has been in there 2 weeks at most.

mseepman
01-20-2009, 11:32 PM
bump...any comments? Today, even re-installing the impeller wouldn't get it working for more than 15 seconds or so.

Abbyreefer
01-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Does it sound like the pump is trying to run ? Check the air tube to see if it is plugged or have salt creep. Otherwise I'm not sure.

dreef
01-21-2009, 12:04 AM
I too have had issues with sedra's my euroreef has a sedra 5000 and it's less than a year old.I shut the skimmer down twice a week to clean the collection cup.I've quit shutting it off as it refuses to start till i tear it apart and put it back together.Same as you,it's never dirty,just a thin layer of normal yuk,no calcium deposits.

andestang
01-21-2009, 12:49 AM
I also been having this issue with my 5000's on my Euro-reef. I've been playing around with the nylon washers. There are a 1/8" and a 1/4" bushings shown in a diagram of a impeller. Mine seems to have just a 1/4". I've been told not all impellers have both washers, but I think I'm going to add a 1/8" also and see what happens.This is very aggravating so I hope this works.

mseepman
01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I can imagine it would be even more annoying with skimmers...mine is just a plain old sedra trying to pump water out of my reservoir. It's absolutely clean water...(brand new DI water) so thee is no residue, nothing. Now pulling it apart and putting it back together only gets results for about 10 seconds and then it quits. Does anyone know their homepage for contact info so I can ask questions?

andestang
01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Here's some links for you. Jeff seems the best to talk to.

http://www.euro-reef.com/PSPR.shtml

http://www.euro-reef.com/Warranty%20Service,%20Tech%20Support%20&%20FAQ.shtml