PDA

View Full Version : bio-ball in sump, good or bad ?

Reefcan
01-15-2009, 07:22 AM
hey, its me again.
my reef tanks about 3 weeks. there are some bio-ball in the sump. Should I take them out ?

Myka
01-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Is your tank a reef or a FOWLR? I find no place for bioballs in reef tanks as they are nitrate factories, but they can be used in FOWLR tanks under special circumstances.

chevyjaxon
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
even better than bio balls use LR rubble i ditched my balls a year ago and replaced them with rubble just a thought, and yes they are nitrate factories IME but if you give them a swish in water to knock off the detritus every now and again they should be fine

sphelps
01-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Once you have enough rock in your tank you should remove the bio-balls. Despite how they are marketed bio-balls don't serve a useful purpose in the standard saltwater aquarium.

Trigger Man
01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Once you have enough rock in your tank you should remove the bio-balls. Despite how they are marketed bio-balls don't serve a useful purpose in the standard saltwater aquarium.

I agree with Sphelps on this one.

phreezee
01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm going to vote for keeping the bioballs with the caveat that you also need sufficient LR and DSB.

Pros
1) Mechanical filtration
2) Biological filtration. Nitrate isn't as bad as nitrite, ammonia. Bio balls do this very well.
3) Silencer - cuts down on water noise.
4) With sufficient LR and DSB, your denitrifying bacteria will take care of your Nitrate.

Cons
1) Must rinse them occassionally.

Note that LR with insufficient waterflow will also produce nitrates in deadzones.

It's always about finding the balance.

I agree that rubble is better as it provides the porous areas bio balls can't.

chevyjaxon
01-15-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm going to vote for keeping the bioballs with the caveat that you also need sufficient LR and DSB.

Pros
1) Mechanical filtration
2) Biological filtration. Nitrate isn't as bad as nitrite, ammonia. Bio balls do this very well.
4) With sufficient LR and DSB, your denitrifying bacteria will take care of your Nitrate.

Cons
1) Must rinse them occassionally.

Note that LR with insufficient waterflow will also produce nitrates in deadzones.

It's always about finding the balance.

I agree that rubble is better as it provides the porous areas bio balls can't.

not to mention rubble is just plain natural, we are building and maintaining a piece of nature done right its great but dont forget mother nature can be a vengeful wh*re if done incorrectly

sphelps
01-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Just wanted to add some points to your list :mrgreen:

Pros
1) Mechanical filtration
Not the best source, filtration floss will do a much better job and is disposible so no cleaning is required.
Ammonia and nitrite will always read zero in an established tank with sufficient LR. Bio-balls do it too well and produce nitrate too quickly before you tank can complete the nitrogen cycle. Excess nitrate is the result and once a build up is created it is very difficult to remove.
Many other alternatives here, filter floss will do the same and has other advantages.
Not necessarily true. The bio-media will disturb a natural nitrogen cycle and dentrification is not an easy process in an aquarium and also requires a carbon source to complete the reaction.

phreezee
01-16-2009, 03:01 AM
I don't disagree with anything you said.
1) Sure, many ways to skin a cat, but bioballs are re-usable and no recurring costs.
2) Bioloads, tank sizes vary, "always" is a strong generalization (noting it's a 3 week old tank)
3) Sure, many ways to skin a cat. Bioballs are re-usable and no recurring costs.
4) Water changes (you have to do it anyway), dose vodka/sugar for carbon.

naesco
01-16-2009, 03:26 AM
hey, its me again.
my reef tanks about 3 weeks. there are some bio-ball in the sump. Should I take them out ?

Lets put it this way. If your LFS(fish store) is trying to sell you bioballs, run, run don't walk out of the store and choose another LFS.

Myka
01-17-2009, 03:02 AM
Lets put it this way. If your LFS(fish store) is trying to sell you bioballs, run, run don't walk out of the store and choose another LFS.

I'm with naesco on this one. Bio-balls can work very well when used in combination with a sulphur based denitrating media run through a reactor in a fish only setup with a large bioload. Imo bioballs are detrimental to a reef tank because of the mass amounts of nitrates they produce. People who have difficulties with nitrates in reef tanks (that aren't using biolballs or another type of nitrate factory) usually have their tanks overstocked. Of course there are many other reasons a person will struggle with nitrates in a reef, but generally nitrates aren't a difficult obstacle.