PDA

View Full Version : Tank plumbing using flexible hoses?

Rippin
01-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi,

As I'm plumbing a tank for the first time, I've noticed that many reefers use rigid PVC pipes. Some use flexible pipes, but I rarely see flexible tubing.

Is there any reason why you shouldn't plumb a 1" overflow drain using a male barbed tubing adapter? If I used flexible tubing then I wouldn't have to worry about sloped pipes and elbows to reach the sump.

Something like this but the output would be wider for 1" tubing:

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/6136683.jpg

The tubing adapter does narrow down a bit more than PVC pipes. Do you think that would restrict the flow too much?

There is also the possibility of leakage where the flexible tubing attaches to the male adapter, but I've never had a leak in the past when using large diameter flexible tubing. Also, a good set of clamps should seal off the juncture. On the other hand, these tubing adapters are meant for low pressure situations.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

i have crabs
01-15-2009, 12:06 AM
i always try to use as much rigid as possible, flex pvc im not a big fan of it has its place,
what your talking about would be fine as long as your not restricting the flow too much,

Aquattro
01-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Using clear tubing, you'll find it fills with algae in a year. Use black if you need to use this, but rigid or at least flex is preferred.

Tangman
01-15-2009, 01:20 AM
If you used clear tubing, you can just use black tape to cover it from growing algae inside it

johncody
01-15-2009, 01:26 AM
Rigid hose has a hard time making a complete full seal due to expanded ringlets . I know the inside is smooth but the hose clamp is on the ringlets... Like i said just my 2 cents :)

Rippin
01-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Using clear tubing, you'll find it fills with algae in a year. Use black if you need to use this, but rigid or at least flex is preferred.

I'm guessing that the algae growth is from the display lights? I will not have a refugium under the tank, so no lights under there. Removing the light factor, is algae growth more susceptible in flexible tubing compared to PVC pipes

brizzo
01-15-2009, 04:23 AM
I picked up some black spa flex a couple days ago in 1/2" and 3/4". I was very happy with the results of rigid pvc and flexible pvc pipe. It's very sturdy but still flexible.

Tom R
01-15-2009, 04:26 AM
If I am not correct flexible tubing is not smooth inside it is saw toothed inside. It may create micro bubbles that will be very difficult to control.

Tom R

gqlmao
01-15-2009, 05:22 AM
I use 1 inch spaflex tubing for the overflow and 3/4 tubing for the return pipe. I've had rigid pvc back then but i found that it was too difficult to disassemble. After I switched to flexable tubing and it has worked wonders for me because i can blend them and twist my pump off without troubles. I dont have clear tubes so alage wasnt a problem, as for the adapter, I just glued my tubes to my bulkheads and my stock return pump adapter. The only thing I would suggest is to use the purple primer along with the gray pvc cement to help melt the tubes to the bulk heads to prevent any cases of leaks. As fa as your adapter goes it would restrict flow to some degree, wouldnt be that great for a return pump since it will decrease water output.

Stanley,