PDA

View Full Version : good idea?.... or not?

pulik
01-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Got my 180 up and running; it has overflows, with the stand-pipe in the overflows. Noticed that the food that goes into the overflow swirls around and around, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, sometimes almost settling on the bottom before being picked up again by the circulation. I've decided not to add crabs to the tank, since they may destroy a number of corals I'm planning on having. So, how about if instead of adding crabs into the tank, I just toss a crab into each overflow? I'd add a bit of rubble or crushed coral so they'd have something other than bare glass to walk on....

Jason McK
01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Both snails and crabs tend to end up in and out of the over flow in my tank. but I have never put anything in there on purpose

J

my2rotties
01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I just spent an hour trying to get my seahare out of mine. I'm waiting for my urchin to go in there next, he's awfully close. I've also plucked snails, fish and crabs out of mine as well.

With our system we can shut off all the water in the pipes below to the sump room, and occasionally drain the overflows to clean them out without draining the entire sytem. Works like a charm. I've had to do it for the fish and but the seahare would have plugged it on me.

Both snails and crabs tend to end up in and out of the over flow in my tank. but I have never put anything in there on purpose

J

xtreme
01-14-2009, 11:41 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that idea. They would help eat any uneaten foods that makes it in there. I've seen a guys tank who kept a goby in his overflow for that reason. It won't make up for the fact that you won't have any in your display as a CUC though.

Rippin
01-15-2009, 12:11 AM
What corals are you intending to stock your tank with? The reason that I ask is because I've never had any problems with my scarlet hermit crabs bothering ANY of my corals (other than walking over them and occasionally trying to steal the food from the coral's mouth).

I guess if there is excess food settlement in your overflows, the crabs may take care of it, but the circulation in there would have to be mighty slow as crabs won't be able to catch the food as it passes by. A fish seems to make better sense in this situation.

pulik
01-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Bubble, open brains, blastomussa (sp?), etc.; in other words, soft squishy types that my book claims can or will be damaged from crabs traipsing over them.

Rippin
01-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Bubble, open brains, blastomussa (sp?), etc.; in other words, soft squishy types that my book claims can or will be damaged from crabs traipsing over them.

I've had all of these corals and not a single problem with scarlet, blue-legged or electric blue hermits. Shrimp on the other hand.....