PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Osmolator VS SpectraPure Liter Meter

Myka
01-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Any thoughts on which one is better? The SpectraPure costs about $40 more...

Looking at the Tunze Osmolator (US$200) VS the SpectraPure Liter Meter Top-Off (US$240) as seen at www.bulkreefsupply.com

mseepman
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Myka,

The Tunze is a dedicated top off device while the Liter Meter is a dosing setup that could be used for ATO. If you can get the LM for close to the same money, I would think that would be the way to go as it can be used for so many other things if you needed it to be.

I hear great things about the quality of LM dosers.

fkshiu
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Apples and oranges.

The osmolator is an auto topoff with multiple failsafes. It will add water as long as its sensors tell it to add water (up to a maximum of minutes).

The litermeter is a high quality dosing pump. It will add liquid as long as its programming tells it to add liquid regardless of what is happening in the tank.

Both a high quality products well designed for their specific purpose.

BTW, J&L sells the Osmolator at C$231 and the Litermeter is US$379 (i.e. well over C$400) on the Spectrapure website. Is the Litermeter on a massive sale somewhere?

Doug
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I dont have time to look at the moment but had the link for a Litermeter 2. Around the same price as Tunze, and it had a high level safe guard I think.

lastlight
01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.spectrapure.com/St_alc_p7.htm

They make a dedicated auto-topoff btw.

As well as other soultions:

http://www.spectrapure.com/liquid_level_controllers.htm

In my reading I have only read good things about both solutions.

mseepman
01-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I think Myka is mentioning the two items at BRS...now that I see the site, I see that Spectrapure has a dedicated Litermeter Topoff that is about $40 higher than the Tunze.

Whatigot
01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
I used to think "osmolator" was the coolest name in ato but with a name like "liter meter" Tunze definitely has a run for it's money.
BTW, no experience with the liter meter but if it weren't for my osmolator, I would have had a couple floods and probably quit reefing.
Next to my acjr, this is the hardest working piece of equipment I own.

fkshiu
01-14-2009, 08:17 PM
I think Myka is mentioning the two items at BRS...now that I see the site, I see that Spectrapure has a dedicated Litermeter Topoff that is about $40 higher than the Tunze.

Oh yes, I see. In that case the LM top-off is just that: a top-off. If you want to use it for dosing then you'd have to spring for the much more expensive LM III programmable unit.

Myka
01-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking at. :)

Myka
01-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the replies so far everyone, but I am looking at the Liter Meter Top Off, not the Liter Meter III. :)

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking at. :)