e46er
01-14-2009, 04:23 AM
hey im new to SW jsut added first 2 clowns 10 days ago heres some stats
as of 30 min ago
ph 8.1
ammonia 0
SG 1.025
nitrite 0
nitrate 5 or so, how high can this get when jsut a FOWLR and also a reef? 10 ppm or so and i should be doing a WC?
ca 420
kh 80 ppm
120G
40 G sump
euroreef 135rs
coralife 4x65W PC fixture as backup
coralife 2x150w MH with 2-96 W actinics
120-150 lb rocks
135lb sand
CL
quiet 1 4000HH return

not sure what id like to keep as far as corals go but im hoping with the 2 fixtures i should be pretty much ok with almost anything
as far as fish go so far ive got 2 brittle stars 20 assorted snails and 2 clowns
id like a dwarf flame angel, hopefully a blue spotted jawfish a blue hippo tang and thats all ive decided so far but i was jsut wondering as far as feeding goes how many different foods and of what, do you feed your livestock? in my planted tank i just cycle thru a couple different flake foods and occasional frozen mysis or brine shrimp.

Trigger Man
01-14-2009, 04:58 AM
I use New Life Spectum Thera +pellets on some days , Formula 2 pellets every day, Mysis a few times a week, Angel food once a week, Home made food from a fellow reefer from here once every week or so, and nori a couple of times a week. I like to mix it up when it comes to feedings as much as possible. I also dose in Selcon to the food a couple of times a week and dose Tropic Marin Lipovit and immuvit a couple of times a week.
For you tank parameters you did not mention your ammonia level, and if you plan on keeping corals you will need to raise your Kh. What is your salinity at?

e46er
01-14-2009, 05:24 AM
hey sorry i edited my post for the forgotten infomation.

i have new life spectrum thera + and mysis shrimp but ill be sure to grab some other types of food this week
i know my KH was a lil low for corals but its what im getting out of my salt (seachems reef salt) i have some seachem reef builder to raise the KH. havent put any in yet as corals are still probably the summer away let the tank stablize and give myself time to get a better understanding and a handle on it i figure i should start using it maybe a month or 2 prior to corals and raise it slowly no point dosing it now if corals are 6 months away right? what should it be at for corals 10-11dKH which is upwards of 170-180 ppm right?

Trigger Man
01-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Ya you can start raising it as you start to get closer to getting corals. One note though, if you want coraline algae to grow on your rocks before you start getting other corals you will need to raise the KH as it uses both Calcium and Kh in its growth.. I try to keep mine at around 9, with most people gunning from the 7 to 12 mark

e46er
01-14-2009, 01:42 PM
ok thanks for the reply.
i have coraline algae growing at a decent pace id assume but i def dont want to halt it anything to help it along!