PDA

View Full Version : iwaki pump.

fiorano
01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
does anyone have experience with iwaki pumps? i was looking into the 100 rlt and i've heard they make soome of the best pumps out there just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this model. hahaha its kind of a lot of money to spend without really knowing what your gettin yourself into. but if anyone has any info i'd appreciate it . thanks :)

Mrfish55
01-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I have an Iwaki 40rlt that has run trouble free for 2 1/2 years (U.S. motor) and I hear the Japanese motor is even better.

scumchug
01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
WMD = American motor (good)
MD = Japanese motor (best)

I have/had many different models of MD Iwaki pumps. I've only had the Japanese motor ones, so I can't comment on the American motors. From what I have read about other peoples opinions are that the American made motors last a long time, and the Japanese motors last forever. The largest I had was the 70, so I can't comment on the larger ones either. What I can say about the ones I have/had is that they are unbelievable. I have never had a problem with any of them. I have run them for years, and haven't even replaced a impeller. I have yet to use another brand of pump that can compare to Iwaki.

mark
01-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Had I MD70RLT that I got used and ran for a couple of years 24/7 totally trouble free. Only replaced it with a Barrcuda as was looking for a pump a little quieter.

Ken
01-13-2009, 11:53 PM
I have a 100 for return and a 70 for the ETSS skimmer, both were installed in 2000 for a 500 gallon coral reef, and now coming up 9 years in Feb. Never had to take it apart for cleaning or any problem with them. I am very happy with them. They however are very expensive, runs fairly hot, have high wattage. Another consideration for you could be the panworld pumps, quiet, runs cool and better price. Regards Ken

brizzo
01-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Anyone know where to buy parts for Iwaki pumps?

Mrfish55
01-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Anyone know where to buy parts for Iwaki pumps?

I've never needed parts but I believe J&L has or can get replacement parts.

fiorano
01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
thanks for all the tips guys

Lance
01-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Had I MD70RLT that I got used and ran for a couple of years 24/7 totally trouble free. Only replaced it with a Barrcuda as was looking for a pump a little quieter.

I'm using Mark's MD70RLT now to run my skimmer and it indeed runs well. But as Mark says it is a little on the noisy side. However, mine is in a room that doesn't bother. If noise is not an issue I recommend them highly.