PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Glass Cutting in Red Deer?

des_merc
01-13-2009, 06:13 PM
I have no experience with cutting aquarium glass. I have a tank I want to cut up and use.

Can aquarium glass be taken to anyone that cuts glass??

If anyone in Red Deer has experience with this is there a place in Red Deer?

Mrfish55
01-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Depends on how thick the glass is and how old it is (the older glass gets the harder it is to cut) up to 1/4" is easy to cut and you can get yourself a cutter for a few bucks at any hardware store (or 30-40 bucks for a good one) get some scrap glass and practice. A little drop of oil on the cutter and smooth even pressure you run the cutter where you want to cut and then snap the glass off at the cut line. Most glass shops are unable to cut the thicker glass (1/2"+) it is usually done by specialty shops. Best thing to do is call your local shops and ask what they can do for you. PS if the glass is tempered it can not be cut.

des_merc
01-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Is there a way to tell if the glass is tempered glass, besides trying to cut it and it will not cut.

Mrfish55
01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Is there a way to tell if the glass is tempered glass, besides trying to cut it and it will not cut.

Most tempered glass has been etched in the corner to indicate it is tempered although I have seen fish tanks that only had a sticker (which most people remove) so it may be difficult to tell other than trying to cut it, if it explodes into a million tiny pieces it was tempered :lol:

Pan
01-13-2009, 11:35 PM
apple auto glass, crystal glass etc

xtreme
01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
I've read somewhere that if you look at tempered glass through polarized sunglasses you will see blotches of some sort in the glass. I've never actually tried it so I don't know for sure if it works. If anyone can confirm this, it would be handy to know.

des_merc
01-14-2009, 06:16 PM
I like the millions of pieces approach. Good outsider art piece ala Homer Simpson.

THE FRUSTRATED MAN...:twised:

the marine apprentice
04-26-2009, 07:10 PM
yeah if you look through tempered glass with polarized glasses you will see lines that fade out the only reason i know is because i have to wear them, and every vehicle i look at has funky looking glass.