PDA

View Full Version : RSM - Remove or replace ceramic bio material?

RSM2008
01-12-2009, 01:52 AM
I love my RSM 130. Set up since 04/08. Great water quality and healthy critters. I removed my ceramic bio material today. The fine mesh bag was getting gunky and slowing the flow and needed cleaning too much. Has anyone tried something else in stead? Bio balls, live rock rubble? Can I leave it empty?

RSM
01-12-2009, 02:53 AM
I have taken everything out. Like you said all of that was slowing the flow. I cut the black sponge in half and run carbon on top of that. I never have an issue with water levels dropping in the return section. I found the white floss would clog up every couple of days when i used it.Sounds like you have enough rock as I only have around 25-30lbs and I have not had any issues.

Welcome!

ElGuappo
01-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Get rid of it. its impossible to remove, and clogs to easily. . i have a small amount of rubble in place of it.

Ghost
01-13-2009, 06:53 PM
^Mind me asking how much was a small amount? I called a LFS yesterday to inquire on the amount of live rock I would need and was told upwards of 15lbs! Seems like a ton.

And are there any places that sell rubble or do you have to buy it and crush it yourself? If I had the choice I'd buy as rubble so I could pick pieces large enough to fill the chamber and still have enough gaps to retain as much flow as possible.

Did you guys/gals have issues with tiny bubbles upon setup? It's not skimmer related... I'm just guessing (and hoping) it's just something everyone goes through initial setup.

PS - I also just bought the RSM130 (34g). I too cut the black sponge in half... but kept the white floss which I am now going to remove after reading the post above.

ElGuappo
01-13-2009, 07:32 PM
i may have 2 pounds of rubble in there. i have about 40 pounds in the display. the bubbles can be from air trapped in the sponge. i know its hard but you need to try and squeeze the air out of the sponge while its underwater. whould only take a day or so for the air to work its way out via watermovement. i just went to my LFS and asked if i could take some rubble. just grabbed some stuff out of the bottom of the LR bin.

RSM2008
01-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Sooo much cleaner!
I removed the ceramic bio filter bag and the Chemi Pure (it was ready for replacement anyway). Water flow is great and there is way less debris acumulation in the chamber.
Now I am going to fashion an egg crate rack under the return pumps to hold my ChemiPure above the bottom.
So I have: fine filter (rinsed almost daily), 1/2 blk sponge, skimmer (mine removes tons of guck) and finally carbon on the way back to the tank.
I'll keep an eye on nitrates to make sure my LR is doing what the ceramic was. Have been 0 0 0 for ages.

ElGuappo
01-15-2009, 08:12 PM
myself and others nolonger run media under the powerheads, as its a pain to remove them. just run media atop the half black sponge.

MCC
01-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Go to the internet and research the RSM mods....

I have seen people turned the back of their RSM into refugiums and protein skimmers... etc..

Its better to use natural biological filtration then any of the synthetic stuff on the market today...