PDA

View Full Version : How much movement is too much?

busymum
01-12-2009, 01:50 AM
We have finished our cycle with our 92gl bowfront and have roughly 80lbs of rock, plus sand, 2 koralia 4's plus a corallife protien skimmer and fluval 405. Now we have 2 perculas, blue tang, cleaner shrimp, peppermint ship, various crabs and 5 or so snails, and we are not sure about the flow, we seem to have alot of micro bubbles. We have 1 of our koralia's down quite low in our tank buried under rock in an up-right angle flowing towards the surface, the other korilia we have across from the 1st korilia but up much higher, almost 3inches from the surfaces, but it seems our perculas aren't able to navigate the tank, and our torch coral doesn't want to extend itself out as fully as we have seen it. Is there a proper way to re-arrange or place powerheads in a tank? How harmful are micro-bubbles? And how can we prevent them?Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Trigger Man
01-12-2009, 02:01 AM
For LPS they tend to like lower flow areas, so you can move your torch to a less flow area or have a rock infront of the flow that is going towards the torch to deflect some of it. There is no set in stone way to angle your phs, the one thing that you are trying to do is get movement everywhere so that debris does not pile up. Being that it sounds like you just put the fish in the fish may take some time to get used to the currents. Micro Bubbles are not harmful from what I have seen. to prevent them it may require adjustments in your sump, your plumbing or maybe a foam insert prior to you return (just some causes).

tang daddy
01-12-2009, 02:14 AM
trigger man has some good points.

K4's are not that powerfull as I have the equivilent of 2 k7's in mine and my 1in perc does fine, as for your powerhead under the rock it is not suggestable because if you have to clean it it could be a hassle to remove your rock work also fish at night like to sleep in caves so it could be a danger hazzard.

As long as the powerhead is not pointing to the torch it should be fine but if the bubbles on the torch are compressed then you should direct the heads differently pics would help.

1 last thing micro bubbles is not harmfull however very ugly IMO. to solve this there are a few ways put a micron bag on the return/overflow line, put more baffles in your sump or lastly use filter floss to stop bubbles.
The last suggestion about filterfloss is not very advisable as this can cause heavy nitrates and also have to be changed every 3-5 days.
I would redo the sump and add more baffles a pic of your sump would give me an idea of where the problem is.

busymum
01-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Thanks to you both for the quick reply and good advice, much appreciated!!!:mrgreen:

tang daddy
01-12-2009, 02:30 AM
no problem.