PDA

View Full Version : Hermit crabs are good for something

marie
01-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I went on an aiptasia killing spree this morning, using a concentrated kalk paste. This afternoon the hermit crabs are very busy eating the slimy, kalk covered aiptasia remains.

Now if only I could convince the hermits to eat aiptasia without the kalk sauce :mrgreen:

PoonTang
01-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Marie I thought you had a CBB. He wont eat them?

marie
01-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Different tank but I'm not entirely sure the cbb is eating them in his tank either.

PoonTang
01-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Ever tried Peppermint shrimp? I had huge success with them. Completely wiped them out, and never grew back. Been over a year now.

Lance
01-11-2009, 11:50 PM
I went on an aiptasia killing spree this morning, using a concentrated kalk paste. This afternoon the hermit crabs are very busy eating the slimy, kalk covered aiptasia remains.

Now if only I could convince the hermits to eat aiptasia without the kalk sauce :mrgreen:

Would you eat Calamari without Tzatziki?

marie
01-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Ever tried Peppermint shrimp? I had huge success with them. Completely wiped them out, and never grew back. Been over a year now.

Yea I've always had good success with them as well but they have a nasty habit of stealing all the food from my lps, rbta and sun coral so no shrimp are allowed in that tank

Would you eat Calamari without Tzatziki?

Good point :lol:

PoonTang
01-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Yea I've always had good success with them as well but they have a nasty habit of stealing all the food from my lps, rbta and sun coral so no shrimp are allowed in that tank

Just get a couple and when they have done thier job get rid of them to someone else in need or put them in your sump. They are super easy to trap. Your corals should survive fine for a few days with no food. Shouldnt be too hard to sell them if they are proven aptasia destroyers. Thats what i did with mine when they ran out of aptasia and developed a taste for frogspawn.

baker_jeff
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
My two peppers took care of all aiptasia within a week! :)

marie
01-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Yup, peppermint shrimp are wonderful but they better watch out or hermit crabs will be taking over their jobs :razz: :lol: