PDA

View Full Version : Safe epoxy or glue?

originalozzyo
01-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Can anyone recommend a safe type of epoxy or some kind of glue for doing aquascaping? I don't want to go and buy the two part epoxy from the lfs since i have had bad experiences with them as far as holding large rocks together and they aren't cheap for how much you get and the amount needed to support anything large. I am considering using plastic zip ties or maybe superglue. Thanks.

lobsterboy
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey, did you ever think about trying to drill your rock, use acrlyic rods with alittle expoxy, to stack them up. There is alot more info abou this techinque on the net. not sure if this helps.

CodeBlue
01-12-2009, 05:05 AM
i'm curious about this as well.. What brand is best to use for superglue?
(sorry for piggy-backing your thread, but we're both looking for the same answer) :)

Aquattro
01-12-2009, 05:21 AM
Sorry, I doubt laarge rocks will hold together with epoxy or glue. zip ties or rods are the best way to secure rocks.

reeferious
01-12-2009, 05:22 AM
any brand is fine just make sure to use gel type superglue

tang daddy
01-12-2009, 05:41 AM
to hold large rocks together I would use acrylic rods.

to glue frags use super glue gel of any make as long as it's gel, I like using the loctite brand.

also the active ingriedient in the gel is called cyanoacrylate dunno if I spelt it correct but as long as it has this as the main ingriedient it's reef safe.

originalozzyo
01-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Well, then its zip ties and pvc plumbing pipe. Going to play around with it tomorrow. Thanks

Myka
05-20-2009, 04:51 AM
So...no one actually ansered the original question. Is there a "generic" 2-part epoxy that is reef safe? I'm building my rock scape soon here, and have already bought some acrylic rod, but I will end up using quite a bit of epoxy as well to help secure the rocks. I haven't tried zip ties before, but I wouldn't mind using zip ties too, but I'm not sure how you guys hide them? At least the acrylic rods are cheap! :D

24storm
05-20-2009, 05:18 AM
My rock work is done with PVC and zip ties and after a few months the zip ties no longer show. Make sure you use the black zip ties.

Keith

So...no one actually ansered the original question. Is there a "generic" 2-part epoxy that is reef safe? I'm building my rock scape soon here, and have already bought some acrylic rod, but I will end up using quite a bit of epoxy as well to help secure the rocks. I haven't tried zip ties before, but I wouldn't mind using zip ties too, but I'm not sure how you guys hide them? At least the acrylic rods are cheap! :D

Myka
05-20-2009, 05:20 AM
I'm sure no one else would see the zip ties after awhile, but I know I would, and that would drive me nuts!! :lol:

xtreme
05-20-2009, 05:22 AM
This thread made me decide its a good idea to spend a few extra bucks buying a reef safe epoxy. Not worth the risk for me.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52452

24storm
05-20-2009, 05:26 AM
I honestly don't think i can see any :biggrin:

Lights are out so i can't check but i do not recall seeing them at all anymore unless i just don't notice. Tank is now about 16 months old now.

I'm sure no one else would see the zip ties after awhile, but I know I would, and that would drive me nuts!! :lol:

fkshiu
05-20-2009, 05:39 AM

I don't know about you, but I don't see any visible zip ties in this tank and I know Marc pretty much secured every piece of LR with zip ties: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-11/totm/index.php

Anyway, getting back to the OP's question, I've read on RC about a two-part epoxy that's commonly available at hardware stores that is reef safe. It should come up if you do a google search on the RC site and spend a bit of time digging.

Myka
05-20-2009, 05:47 AM
This thread made me decide its a good idea to spend a few extra bucks buying a reef safe epoxy. Not worth the risk for me.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52452

I agree with you on most things. I usually buy reef designed products instead of "generic" stuff, but tanks are so darn expensive, and I have a really hard time justifying the cost of my tanks as it is. So it makes me feel better if I'm thrifty about buying equipment used or DIY or w.h.y. :lol: It doesn't make financial sense to spend as much as I do on my tanks at my age. :eek:

dbdavid
05-20-2009, 02:56 PM
I also agree for rockwork to use zip ties and rods. I also use Super T and the epoxy sticks to firm up and help support the structure. I found that using each glue individually does not provide a strong hold but using them together provides and lot stronger hold. I also use this method for all my frags or placing new corals. It works best if the pieces being glues are dried off first.

Basically you kneed the epoxy together.

Dry off the spots where you want to glue.

Place a generous amount of the Super T on one end.

Put a piece of epoxy over the Super T glue.

Place some more Super T over the epoxy and then put the two pieces together, hold it for a couple of seconds and you are good to go.

While placing a frag underwater you must hold the frag for a little longer. I put a lot more Super T on it than I would if it were dry as it starts to set as soon as it hits the water.

I stay away from the purple coloured epoxy's as it seems to slime up as soon as it hits the water and it takes longer to cure in my experience.

I use the 2 oz Super T Cyanoacrylate from Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20024&cat=1,110,42966

I don't want to experiment with the non reef epoxy's so I stick with the Holdfast epoxy.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave

Myka
05-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I will try the glue and epoxy combo!! :D

i have crabs
05-20-2009, 04:59 PM
mighty putty shure looks alot like the two littlefishies epoxy to me.
im still scared though but 6 tubes for $30 isnt bad if its ok.
https://www.mightyputty.ca/spark/index.php?tag=os|sm|go
i guess make that $40 after the shipping

Piscez
05-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Recommended by a fellow reefer:

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/079340322370E_4.jpg

Found at homedepot, works great, but not for big stuff like large rocks etc.

Toxik
05-21-2009, 12:50 AM
I was looking at the marine epoxy today. I've heard that works pretty good but never tried it first hand. Has anyone here tried it?

Oscar
05-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Basically you kneed the epoxy together.

Dry off the spots where you want to glue.

Place a generous amount of the Super T on one end.

Put a piece of epoxy over the Super T glue.

Place some more Super T over the epoxy and then put the two pieces together, hold it for a couple of seconds and you are good to go.

While placing a frag underwater you must hold the frag for a little longer. I put a lot more Super T on it than I would if it were dry as it starts to set as soon as it hits the water.

Dave

I have been having a heck of a time with some frags that my urchins continue to knock off. I never new you could use super glue under water. But I will try anything at the moment.

I will test this tonight.