PDA

View Full Version : ER RS180 vs. Oct Extreme 200 vs. Vertex IN180

Albertan22
01-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I've been doing a lot of research trying to pick out a skimmer for a 120g w/40g sump setup that I'm planning. Important features for me are noise (quiet as possible) and energy efficiency.

I was leaning towards to the Euro Reef for a long time, but I've heard that the GenX4100 pump on that skimmer is very loud. I've also read about a lot of other problems with this pump.

The Vertex also looks like a decent skimmer, and is cheaper, but it seems to be an energy hog.

The Octopus Extreme would then seem to be my best choice, but I don't have a lot of information on it, the RC thread seems to be all about mesh modding the thing, which I wouldn't be into. Would this be a decent skimmer for the begining reefer?

I know this is like asking a crowd for their opinion between Chev., Ford and Dodge, but I could use a little advice to tip the scales.

Thanks!

christyf5
01-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Someone has done a test on the power usage of the vertex 180 and I think its quite a bit less than the "reported" wattage. I seem to recall something about 67 watts but I can't remember if its for that specific model. I remember it being quite a bit lower than what was advertised for it. I haven't heard many good comments on the pumps for them though which is what made me shy away from it. You may want to check out this thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1477098&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Not sure how many people in there have the larger sized model though, the IN-80 seems to be popular.

I ended up going with a ER250. I don't have it set up, its for a larger tank to be set up in a new house somewhere along the line. I didn't look into the octopus much though as I didn't have a Canadian source for it.

Reading this over, I'm not sure if I helped any :razz:

Veng68
01-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Franklin tested the power (with a watt meter) of the Vertex IN-250 at Aquatic Addictions. It states 145 watts on the pump but it actually draws 67 watts. This is because the 145 watts is actually the power used when pushing just water. It's easier on the pump when pushing water/air mixture.

Cheers,
Vic

christyf5
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks Vic, I thought I had read that here somewhere :biggrin:

xtreme
01-11-2009, 07:03 PM
I have been using a Euro-Reef RS180 for just over a year now. Have not encountered any issues with my pump yet, but its not the most quiet pump around thats for sure. I have never used the other two you mentioned so I'm not sure how they would compare. I believe the GenX4100 pump says it uses 45 watts, with my watt meter it is only using 35 watts. HTH.

albert_dao
01-11-2009, 07:29 PM
See Jeremy's (Premium Aquatics) comments in the RC Vertex thread. All pump issues with the Vertex skimmers stemmed from the polishing process with the impeller shafts. That issue has since been corrected as all impellers are now factory tested.

saltaddict
01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
You could also check out www.saltwaterconnection.com (SWC) they make the extreme skimmers. I have one of their cone skimmers, the build quality is excellent and the customer service is great.

They also have every spare part for their skimmers which may come in handy in the future. They are located in Winnipeg. You can read up on Reef Central about the performance of these skimmers.

I would consider one of these before the Octopus brand IMO.

Albertan22
01-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks all for the input! Noise will be a big consideration for me as the tank is located near both the TV and the dining room. My wife doesn't want to hear noisy pumps while we're eating and I don't want a lot of noise while watching movies :mrgreen:. I think I'm going to rule out the ER RS180. The Vertex is looking pretty good, and I'm definately going to look into the SWC Xtremes.

Anybody have experience with the SWC Xtreme 160?

Werbo
04-15-2009, 01:14 AM
I just fired up my RS 180. I bought this 2-3 yeas ago during a Boxing Day sale for a future set-up that I am close to completing. It came with the GENX4100 and it is loud. So loud that I will probably sell the EuroReef. Very disappointed.
But EuroReef will be happy to sell you a $250 ($US) Eheim upgrade plus shipping. Kinda a bait and switch. Get you with a competitive priced skimmer that needs an upgrade if you want it to be quite.

whiteice669
04-15-2009, 05:13 AM
I have been running a vertex 250 for 3 months now and it is dead quiet