PDA

View Full Version : Wavebox maintenance

marie
01-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Dave (Mrfish55) was over the other day and asked if I had the box turned way down. I didn't but I knew it was way over due for cleaning so today I took it apart and cleaned it. I have sponges growing on my sponge, feather duster worms 6" long, coralline algae (How does it grow in there it can't possibly get any light :rolleyes: ) bubble algae, snails, worms and pods galore.
After putting it all back together and turning it back on I realized it was operating at less than half capacity before cleaning. Should these things be cleaned every 6 months? (well mine should be obviously) .

So have you cleaned your wavebox recently?:mrgreen:

Chowder
01-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Not sure what the manditory time fram is for cleaning these things. I had mine apart about 2 months ago and am cleaning it today . It too is looking like it is running about half spead.

Chris

marie
01-11-2009, 05:57 PM
It's been about 15 months for mine :redface: . I clean my other power heads every 2 months but it never occurs to me to clean the wavebox

Chowder
01-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Only reason I am doing it is because I have noticed it is not performing like it should.

Chris

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Good to know. I am just picking one up this week.

christyf5
01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
I clean mine when I clean my powerheads. That is, when I remember to clean my powerheads :razz: I guess this is about every 3-6 months or so. It always boggles my mind how much stuff grows in there. Its a haven for bubble algae and feather dusters (no coralline though :sad::wink:). Nothing grows on the sponge except for the dreaded "detritus". I really wish they'd come up with a better system than that sponge as I think its the source of my nitrate issues, or at least part of it.

marie
01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I had some very pretty pink, yellow and purple sponges growing on my sponge, it was a shame that it had to be cleaned.
The pump I had to soak in vinegar before I could get at the impellor because it had enough coralline algae growing on it to weld the strainer to the pump body :twised:

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I clean mine when I clean my powerheads. That is, when I remember to clean my powerheads :razz: I guess this is about every 3-6 months or so. It always boggles my mind how much stuff grows in there. Its a haven for bubble algae and feather dusters (no coralline though :sad::wink:). Nothing grows on the sponge except for the dreaded "detritus". I really wish they'd come up with a better system than that sponge as I think its the source of my nitrate issues, or at least part of it.

Yeah it is amazing! I have started cleaning my powerheads along with my return pump, siphoning my sump and rocks every month when I do a water change. Water change maintenance has become a 2 hour thing once a month now but I notice a huge difference in both equipment performance and also health of the tank. I used to only clean my powerheads like once a year :neutral:

fkshiu
01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey Marie, I think your wavebox became what is known as a "cryptic zone" where a whole bunch of very interesting stuff grows out of light and high flow. Anthony Calfo (I think) was quite a big fan of cryptic zones a while ago although I haven't heard much about them in a while. Those sponges you found are filter feeders and great for, well, filtering! I know some people who set up cryptic zone refugiums, but it seems like you had one going without even knowing it!

Mrfish55
01-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Sorry my visit turned into a make work project for you :biggrin: I take mine apart and clean it up about every six months, my sponge fell apart a long time ago and ran fine without it, I dont know if the sponge is necessary (keep stuff out of the impeller) or if it is to make it fit snug in the box to stop it from banging around and making noise. Thanks for the coffee by the way and your tank looks awsome!

Chowder
01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
The sponge is to keep it in there snug. I just got one from J&L and believe they had another in stock.

RuGlu6
01-11-2009, 10:00 PM
I clean mine with vinegar spunge included.
Sponge over night only, the rest is for about 48-72 hrs
Works very well.

Tom R
01-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I clean mine about every 6 months. There is a small disc at the bottom of the impeller that needs to be cleaned. It has 3 or 4 holes in it and they must be open. If they get plugged they will trigger an alarm that is just annoying.

Tom R