PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate spike?

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Could a dead fish that was in my tank for no more than about 3-4 hours max (more likely 2) have caused a nitrate spike? After my puffer died yesterday, I thought I should check the nitrates today...10!

I can't imagine why else they would have spiked up to 10 in the past few days but I also thought it took much longer than that for the fish to start decaying and causing water issues. I tested last about four days ago and they were 0 as they have been for months.

The only reason I am asking is because I want to figure out if this is from a dying fish or if I have a nitrate problem :sad:

I have also added some new fish but they are small and I have no increased feeding even yet.

Diana
01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
It is unlikely that a dead fish would have caused a nitrate spike so soon after death (ammonia or nitrite spike is more likely). High nitrates probably only would have resulted had you left the fish in there to completely decay.

On a side note, nitrates at 10 is nothing to panic about.... but for your SPS I guess it isnt all that great. Softies would like it though :D.

Did you stir up any sand or move any rock trying to get the puffer out? To me that would be a more likely cause of excess nitrates in the tank. Or maybe the addition of those gobies?

They could have been creeping up on you....

sneaky little nitrates.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah maybe the gobies I was thinking. They are awesome by the way when they actually come out of hiding.

I have a high bio load, so I expect nitrates but this was very sudden. I test quite often and always got 0 but then suddenly 10 the other day. I have done a few water changes and will test again today.

The sps look fine still but I doubt they will like it long term.