PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Fish Food - Calgary

michika
01-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm going to make up another batch of fish food. Tentatively I'm looking for a pick up time of the first weekend in February.

$10 per bag, each bag contains one cup of product frozen flat.

Payment due ahead of time. If you can't/don't want to pay ahead of time you will be able to pick up product on a first come first serve basis from Red Coral here in town.

Let me know if you want garlic or no garlic.

24storm
01-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I will take 6 bags with garlic. I have been waiting for you to make more for a while now. How would you like to handle payment Cathrine. I have bought from you a few times before and never had to prepay but i understand with all the non payers. Let me know.

Thanks Keith

Trigger Man
01-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I bought some of the homemade food on the last batch and my fish love it. Great stuff.

michika
01-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure...do you want to pick up from RC, or way down south at my place?

24storm
01-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I am in the south so your place would be easier if possible.

Thanks Keith

Treebeard
01-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I will take 2 bags Catherine. I paid for two last go round and ended up canceling when you were delayed in making it.

michika
01-23-2009, 10:21 PM
BUMP!

I'm thinking of providing another option to save on the need to commit. I can just make garlic and bags of no-garlic and then people can just ask for some when they want it, or stop by RC on their own time.

I am also debating uping the variety of food offered to one type with nori, and some without. Would there be any interest in food without nori? It would include all the same ingredients, obviously minus the nori.

Rbacchiega
01-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I'll take 3 bags, with garlic. Let me know how to get you the money when the time comes..I'd pick up at your house, believe it or not, it's close than heading over to RC for me.

Thanks

rocketlily
01-24-2009, 12:09 AM
Do you have a location in Edmonton that would sell it for you?

michika
01-24-2009, 12:12 AM
No I don't. I can however pop it on a greyhound for you if you'd like.

Carmen
01-24-2009, 12:18 AM
I would take 2 bags with garlic, would prefer no nori but I am not too fussy! :mrgreen: Do you want me to pay you via paypal again? I could pick up at RC if that's okay, much more convenient for me.
Thanks Catherine

my2rotties
01-24-2009, 05:46 AM
HI I would like two bags with garlic please... Let me know how to pay you. I think picking up where you are is easiest for me. If you are alright with that...

bigmac
01-25-2009, 03:01 AM
I will take two bags with garlic if it is not too late. I will drop off the $20.00 at Red Coral tomorrow.
Thanks

michika
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm switching banks on Monday so I'll post up again when I can accept payments, I can do Paypal as soon as I get everything linked back together again.

Bigmac, two garlic bags with or without nori?

Diana, same question as above to you.

my2rotties
01-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I think I'll go one and one. If that's okay with you...

Did you get a new blender? I fried mine making puffer food so I know first hand why you fried yours'. :smile:

I'm switching banks on Monday so I'll post up again when I can accept payments, I can do Paypal as soon as I get everything linked back together again.

Bigmac, two garlic bags with or without nori?

Diana, same question as above to you.

michika
01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm looking to pick up a food processor this time, and probably will get around to it next weekend.

bigmac
01-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Catherine,

With Nori please!

Bigmac

Treebeard
01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I would like my two bags with garlic, without nori please and thanks!

Glennrf38
01-26-2009, 03:03 PM
If you have an extra bag Catherine, I will take one with garlic, no nori. Please let me know and I will paypal you.

Thanks

michika
01-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys!

I'll be ending the pre-orders on THURSDAY FEBRUARY 5th at 6PM MST

I'm going to make the food on Friday the 6th, and it should be ready to take to RC on the 7th.

For those who want to pick up at my place, I do kind of discourage it because I'm not really home that much. My general schedule is one that pick ups can occur after 6pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Then by appointment only on Saturday afternoons and Sundays.

Rbacchiega
01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Send my three bags to RC then please Catherine. Oh, and no nori please.

I hope you're aware that by sending me to RC you're raising the possiblity of me leaving there with more than just fish food....
.....I hope you're happy *shakes fist*....

michika
01-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Haha that part of my secret devious plan. Although I tend to fall into my own trap a lot...I can't leave most stores without buying something!

syeve
01-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey michika
Bought a bag from Red Coral!
Thank you!

Steve

yeeg
01-27-2009, 02:11 AM
I will take 3 with nori and garlic.

michika
01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Alright so the list is:

Glen x1 - Garlic, no nori - Pick up from me
24storm x6 - Garlic & Nori - Pick up from me
Bigmac x2 - Garlic & Nori
Treebeard x2 - Garlic, no nori
Rbacchiega x3 - Garlic, no nori - Pick up from RC
Carmen x2 - Garlic & Nori
My2rotties x2 - 1 Garlic & Nori, 1 Garlic, no nori
Yeeg x3 - Garlic & Nori
Me x 4 - No garlic & nori

Payment: send via paypal to me at REMOVED PLEASE put your Canreef name down in the comments! RC isn't accepting pre-payment on my behalf, they are just the pick up point.

I will be making extra food this time as well to keep on hand for the future. I am estimating I will make an extra 20 bags of food and the bulk of which will be with garlic. I see the overall preference is food with garlic, and as for the nori its about a 50/50 demand.

I'm starting to source out ingredients right now and do expect to be able to include oyster eggs this time around as I know of a local vendor who carries them.

Frenchie
01-29-2009, 04:30 PM
If its not too late Id like two bags with garlic and no nori. Let me know and Ill paypal it up.

Thanks

michika
01-29-2009, 07:27 PM
You're in

Glen x1 - Garlic, no nori - Pick up from me - Paid
24storm x6 - Garlic & Nori - Pick up from me - Paid*
Treebeard x2 - Garlic, no nori - Pick up from RC - Paid
Rbacchiega x3 - Garlic, no nori - Pick up from RC
Carmen x2 - Garlic & Nori - Paid
My2rotties x2 - 1 Garlic & Nori, 1 Garlic, no nori
Yeeg x3 - Garlic & Nori
Frenchi x2 - Garlic, no nori

Last day to get your order in is Thursday February 5th at 6pm MST

Carmen
01-30-2009, 06:44 PM
payment sent!

michika
01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Got it, and updated the most recently posted list.

Rbacchiega
01-30-2009, 06:47 PM
do you have an e-mail I can e-mail transfer the money to? I don't use paypal.

Frenchie
01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Payment sent :)

my2rotties
01-31-2009, 04:54 AM
Payment sent

michika
02-01-2009, 02:27 PM
do you have an e-mail I can e-mail transfer the money to? I don't use paypal.

Sent you a PM.

Frenchie, My2rotties, I got your payments.

michika
02-03-2009, 04:48 AM
If you want food, just make a post and specify which of the four options you'd like. Payment details are above. As well please let me know where you would like to pick up your food. Your options are Red Coral in the NW, or at my place in the SW.

phreezee
02-03-2009, 07:04 AM
phreezee x3 - with garlic, no nori - pickup from RC - payment sent

Thanks!

TTT
02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi Catherine,

I would like to order:

1 Bag Garlic with Nori
1 Bag Garlic without Nori

Payment sent and pickup at RC

Thanks,
Terry

Red Coral Aquariums
02-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Catherine
I would like some for the store. min 4 bags or what ever you have left over. I can't keep it around for my fish at the store. I might have to take it home and bring in one bag at a time to use LOL.
Kevin

michika
02-03-2009, 01:46 PM
As of Feb 3rd at 2pm

Glen x1 - Garlic, no nori - Pick up from me - Paid
24storm x6 - Garlic & Nori - Pick up from me - Paid*
Treebeard x2 - Garlic, no nori - Pick up from RC - Paid
Rbacchiega x3 - Garlic, no nori - Pick up from RC - Paid*
Carmen x2 - Garlic & Nori - Paid
My2rotties x2 - 1 Garlic & Nori, 1 Garlic, no nori - Paid
Yeeg x3 - Garlic & Nori
Frenchie x2 - Garlic, no nori - Paid
mseepman x2 - garlic, no nori - Paid (BC Group)
phreezee x3 - Garlic, no nori - Pick up at RC - Paid
TTT x2 - Garlic, w/nori, Garlic, no nori - Pick up at RC -Paid
RC x4 (min) - Anything - Obviously picking up at RC
Captainhemo -x2 - garlic & nori, garlic, no nori - (BC Group)

Last day to get your order in is Thursday February 5th at 6pm MST

rocketlily
02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Is it too late to get in on this? I do have one question, if it is shipped on the bus and thaws and refreezes, will it ruin the food.

Thanks

oilfieldsafety
02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
If someone can coordinate a groupbuy for Edmonton I would be in for a couple of bags.

Shane

rocketlily
02-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I would be in for Edmonton also.

michika
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Yes you can get in on it. I'll ship with freezer packs so it shouldn't have any issues.

We have hit 57 bags...this is by far the biggest order yet, and I haven't even added in what I want for myself yet! I am also the only person who doesn't want garlic with her food.

rocketlily
02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Yes you can get in on it. I'll ship with freezer packs so it shouldn't have any issues.

We have hit 57 bags...this is by far the biggest order yet, and I haven't even added in what I want for myself yet! I am also the only person who doesn't want garlic with her food.

Why do you not have garlic added to yours?

michika
02-04-2009, 12:15 AM
I've read a few paper that suggest that garlic contributes to liver damage in fish over the course of time. I also find that my freezer smells a little less strong without it!

rocketlily
02-04-2009, 02:43 AM
I would like to order 2 bags with nori, without garlic, shipped with Greyhound. I will email you my work address for shipping. Can you accept an email bank transfer?

If anyone else in Edmonton wants to join in on the shipping I work in SE Edmonton (30 st & 60 ave) or it can be picked up at my house (south of Hwy 14 near South Cooking Lake) or I can take it to a willing LFS on the southside after work.

Rbacchiega
02-04-2009, 04:29 AM
Catherine, do you have a link or something with the info on the garlic causing damage? I'd like to take a look at it. I'll still go with garlic in mine, but am only really going to be using the food to add into the varied diet I feed all my tanks....interesting none the less

Frenchie
02-04-2009, 05:02 AM
Ill change mine to no garlic. My fish all eat like pigs anyways.:razz:

michika
02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Frenchie, its changed.

As for the links, this (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=12386192) is the thread that started it.

Some literature contained within the thread:

http://www.ajol.info/viewarticle.php?id=18706
http://www.springerlink.com/content/w1g55h5463225648/
http://www.reefs.org/library/article/h_cortes-jorge.html

From there I jumped from paper to paper, via references.

The best post from the thread is Greenbean36191's
"Clearly there is evidence that in high doses garlic can damage the liver of fishes. However, I don't know of any studies that looked at the histopathology of using smaller doses, so there's really no way to say what, if any, dose is safe.

There haven't been any studies done showing that orally administered garlic does anything to fight off protozoans in fish. All we have to go on is anecdotal evidence from people saying that they fed garlic and the ich went away in 3 days or that they've fed garlic and they've never had ich. The trouble with that is that people who don't treat with garlic or treat with "cures" that are known to be ineffective can say the same thing. When I first started in the hobby I had 2 fish come down with severe ich and I didn't feed garlic and the ich went away. Since then I've never fed garlic and never had ich either. It's well documented that fish can recover from ich and develop immunity with no treatment at all. In the absence of controlled tests showing that orally administered garlic is effective, there's no way to attribute the effects to garlic rather than just the natural ability of the fish to fight the parasite.

Also, there's evidence that although garlic may induce fish to eat more, it induces lots of metabolic changes that cause the fish to use the food less efficiently. So again, there shouldn't be an assumption that because the fish eat more with garlic, they're healthier.

While I don't think there is enough evidence to say one way or the other whether feeding garlic is directly harmful to fish, I do think it can be dangerous in the sense that people choose to forgo proven treatments in favor of garlic which is untested. Ich is afterall a life-threatening disease."

Treebeard
02-04-2009, 02:04 PM
And here I was blaming it on the alcohol!

I've read a few paper that suggest that garlic contributes to liver damage in fish over the course of time.

Rbacchiega
02-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Interesting reads!

I'll still keep with the garlic though please catherine

michika
02-04-2009, 11:36 PM
You know what guys, I am about ready to flat out give up on all of this.

I was the recipient of a threatening PM today over this food. I just want to clairify a few things:

1) I make no money on this what so ever, most times I loose out significantly after I factor in my time. The money given covers the food and bags thats it.

2) This is not for human consumption

3) I started doing this to make good food for my own tank, and help other people out by offering them the leftovers. You can't just make a single bag of food, you'd have an a lot of left over wasted product. I just wanted to help out, thats all.

4) At this point I'll probably just refund everyone their money and never make food again. I am tired of trying to help people out by splitting the costs and volunteering my time. However this is probably the end of that.

Rbacchiega
02-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Wow. Why would anyone threaten you for helping people out? That's garbage. From reading past posts and seeing what a great response you've recieved from doing this before I made the decision to buy some bags off of you...what on earth would give someone the idea to send you a threat. That's garbage. Sorry to hear this. If you decide to not go with it, I completely understand. Maybe you could send me a PM with the steps you used to make your own and I can make me some. I've got enough tanks that I doubt I would have too much left over.

To whomever sent Catherine the PM : Atta ruin it for other people. Thumbs up to being a jerk.

24storm
02-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Sorry to hear that. I would like to know who the idiot is that's causing you the grief. I know you will not name people. But this is just unbelievable.

Some people should just keep there thoughts to themselves.

I always try to help out when i can as well.

If you do decide to make the food i would be willing to buy a very large batch to help cover costs even if you do not offer it to others. My fish really like this food and i think it is much better then anything you can buy in the stores.

Keith

Carmen
02-05-2009, 12:10 AM
I am really sorry to hear that Catherine! :sad:This is my third order from you and I am very happy with the food and that you even offer it to us! Like 24storm said, there is not really a great alternative out there! I hope you continue to offer it and will continue to support you. (But understand if you chose not to.)
Carmen

TTT
02-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Sorry to hear this as well. I too have decided to try out some of your fish food based on the great reviews you get on canreef. I hope you continue to help others out by making your 5 star fish food. That's what this hobby is all about...people helping people.

karazy
02-05-2009, 12:22 AM
whoever said things to you is a jerk!
like seriously, why would you dink out at her like that?
i was hoping you'd still be making this stuff when i get my tank up,
but some big wrassehole had to go and be a jerk.

do you think you could maybe PM the recipe on how to make this food?
even though i would have alot left over, i know of some places who might want it.

Treebeard
02-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Catherine, you should pm the Canreef staff and forward them them the message. The Canreef admins should ban this scumbag permanently and no one needs to know the identity of the culprit. Canreef can do without his (or her) type.

Rbacchiega
02-05-2009, 01:13 AM
catherine, you should pm the canreef staff and forward them them the message. The canreef admins should ban this scumbag permanently and no one needs to know the identity of the culprit. Canreef can do without his (or her) type.

+1

karazy
02-05-2009, 03:25 AM
+1

+2

my2rotties
02-05-2009, 03:48 AM
I hope you still make food and don't succumb to idle threats. I guess if you need to take it private to deal with people or need others to help you make it, I will step up. I do not understand what business it is to anyone what we as adults choose to do. I wish you DID make money for your trouble. I have made batches of food for my puffer and GROSS it is awful to make. The stink and goo, and the smell of my blender frying is enough to make me cry.

I hope this individual took the time to factor in the time, the fuel, effort, wear and tear of your blender and just your sanity in regards to making this food.

I would pay more for the food if needed, and perhaps you should take the steps in making this a part time legitimate business for yourself.

I sure hope you make this food, and if you need help, come on over here and I will take responsibility for doing what you are accused for. Do people not have better things to do instead of making an entire forum suffer because they have issues.

I can make my own food at home, but my Gawd, I would pay more for you to do it since it is yucky. Now what can be done to ensure you are protected form repercussions in case this person does cause grief?

michika
02-05-2009, 04:10 AM
Thank you everyone!

The person in question and one of the PMs has been forwarded to the Mods. I figure the threat/PMs are not from the source they claim and are not legitimate, however it bothers me considerably that someone would send something like that to me. I have requested that the person identify themselves and prove they are whom they claim to be, we'll just have to see what happens, and I'll go from there.

Rbacchiega
02-05-2009, 04:27 AM
The only way I can see someone would have a legitimate complaint about your food Catherine is if it were an exact replica of a brand name food. EXACT. But from what I've read, you've come up with your own blend, possibly using other foods as a refference. There's no problem going that method as far as I know....

*shakes head*

my2rotties
02-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Well... some people are jealous of your system, and jealous of the knowledge and friendship you bring to the forums. Plus you make food that is "crack for fish". I don't know what you put in the stuff but it works. Perhaps that's what the issue is, the fish are stealing everything in the tank to buy more for themselves:wink: They are skipping work to eat the food and have no life anymore since it's all about the food...:mrgreen:

Sorry it's a bad joke but we need to laugh about it or they are winning in the end. If you stopped making the food they would win in the end and probably start making it themselves to make a killing on it.

Thank you everyone!

The person in question and one of the PMs has been forwarded to the Mods. I figure the threat/PMs are not from the source they claim and are not legitimate, however it bothers me considerably that someone would send something like that to me. I have requested that the person identify themselves and prove they are whom they claim to be, we'll just have to see what happens, and I'll go from there.

Frenchie
02-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Thats terrible. I hope you try and wiegh the one bad comment againt all the good comments. I appreciate the food and all the work you do to make it. Some people are just born jerks and jump on any oppourunity they can find to reaffirm it!

Thanks for the food in the past, and I hope you decide to continue.

michika
02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
The only way I can see someone would have a legitimate complaint about your food Catherine is if it were an exact replica of a brand name food. EXACT. But from what I've read, you've come up with your own blend, possibly using other foods as a refference. There's no problem going that method as far as I know....

*shakes head*

Its not about the content, or at least it wasn't. The person in question has been removed from the forums, and I am very thankful to the Mods for their quick action, and reassurances.

I'm looking into a few things now to prevent this from happening again in the future. It was something I always intended to do, although for a different reason, but further on down the road when I'd better firmed up a few plans and decisions. This is quite cryptic, but I'll sort some things out and then go ahead with everything.

I'll still make food. I'm heading out tomorrow to my favorite LFS to pick up some goodies, and then onto a few more stops for supplies. I am also really hoping that the food processor I have fares better against cuttlefish & squid then the blender did.

Treebeard
02-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Glad to hear it was resolved Catherine. Thanks for your perseverance and the Canreef mods for their quick action.

michika
02-05-2009, 06:03 PM
So you all know this is what I received:

"I am sending you this pm, as i work for the government which monitors the internet for unclaimed revenue, I am inquiring to your business license # with the City of Calgary, as well as home business reference # number with Revenue Canada?

Are you also informed to the license required to to sell food products in Canada?

If you have these licenses please let me know them so i can verify, if not we will have to investigate further, and posible penalties could occur."

It botherse me significantly and I am extremely hesitant to go ahead with this. I did contact the City and they told me I shouldn't worry about it, however it is of some concern that someone would be contacting people via PM and addressing them as I was. I honestly am on the fence here, obviously I don't want to incure whatever wrath, if legitimate, this person alludes to, but at the same time...

The mode of communication and the large amount of typos, and informal writing style strongly suggests that its false.

michika
02-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Everyone has been refunded their money, and I've sent a couple of PMs.

Frenchie
02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
This seems odd to me.. Does this mean we shouldn't be selling frags anymore? I don't see any difference.

JDigital
02-05-2009, 07:24 PM
This seems odd to me.. Does this mean we shouldn't be selling frags anymore? I don't see any difference.

Or fish or hardware... :lol:

Rbacchiega
02-05-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks anyways Catherine. Sorry about the garbage person

Carmen
02-05-2009, 10:19 PM
So sorry to hear all this! Sounds kinda weird to me??? :question:

Now I don't know what to do for food. :wink::sad:

rocketlily
02-06-2009, 02:33 AM
I don't know about Calgary, but I have a home based business and Revenue Canada does not have such a thing as a Home business reference #. I don't know the motivation behind their PM but they were obviously trying to put a stop to what you were doing.

Don't let them win.

Trigger Man
02-06-2009, 03:06 AM
I would assume that you called revenue canada to get the info you needed? I would assume if the pm was real it would be in regard to food quality, including handling practices and prep. I know for all foods in coffee shops, resturants, etc, they are not allowed to bring in foods/desserts prepared from home (unless it is made in a seperate special designated room that has been inspected by the proper authorities, do to possible prep/contamination issues). I guess it would actually be the food inspection or board of health agency that would have the answers. Good luck, I have bought your food in the past and it was great!

Glennrf38
02-06-2009, 03:26 AM
No Government agency would send
a) a PM
b) such a poorly worded letter

It's a fake. Too bad we lost out on what I heard was great food.