PDA

View Full Version : Frag Tank.....Help

mtlmatt
01-11-2009, 05:22 AM
Hey guys,
I'm kind of new to the whole saltwater world and I have a few questions about a new frag tank I'm starting. I recently bought a current USA 24" 4 t5ho (24 watt each) (140$), a remora maxi jet 1200 (120$) 2 power heads and a heater, all in a custom tank
(24'x16'x18,) (180$). A friend of mine has a 140g saltwater tank and I'm going to use his water the next time he does a water change. I wanted to know if I would need more filtration, lighting, ECT. I would also like it if someone can give me some ideas on how to set up the tank and the egg crate. Thanks alot and I'm sure I will have more questions to come.

mtlmatt
01-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Hey guys,
I'm kind of new to the whole saltwater world and I have a few questions about a new frag tank I'm starting. I recently bought a current USA 24" 4 t5ho (24 watt each) (140$), a remora maxi jet 1200 (120$) 2 power heads and a heater, all in a custom tank
(24'x16'x18,) (180$). A friend of mine has a 140g saltwater tank and I'm going to use his water the next time he does a water change. I wanted to know if I would need more filtration, lighting, ECT. I would also like it if someone can give me some ideas on how to set up the tank and the egg crate. Thanks alot and I'm sure I will have more questions to come.

chevyjaxon
01-11-2009, 07:58 AM
your filtration comes from live rock, if you think the tank cost you alot just wait until you see the bill for the LR as a general rule of thumb you should add aprox 1lb of LR per gallon of water BTW dont be afraid to smell the tank the LR is coming from if the dealer says its fully cured it should not stink if it smells bad that means its still cycling and die off is still occuring in this case you are going to want to set your tank up with the skimmer running full time and do not add anything do a 20% water change atleast once a week and keep testing your water at first you will see a huge ammonia spike followed by a nitrite spike and then lastly a nitrate spike take your time be patient wait for your tank to cycle be religious with the water changes keep a close eye on water parameters when your tank has no detectable ammonia or nitrite it is safe to add a fish or 2 but take your time with the stocking of your tank each fish added will cause your tank to do a small cycle again too many and your LR will not keep up to the increased bio load and you ammonia will go through the roof another thing you may want to do is start with all fresh salt water and not your freinds used water his water or anybody elses could bring parasites into your eco system unlikely but it is always best to err on the side of caution. anyways sorry about the book i just left you but you have alot of learning and reading on the road ahead of you remember there is no 1 right way to approach this hobby and there are alot of people on this forum who know a ton more than I do
Welcome to Canreef and please keep us posted on your progress:wink:

mtlmatt
01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info about the tank but the tank I'm going to set up is just for frags. I already have a 29g biocube runng for about 6 months now and it's doing great but I really want to start a frag tank because I realized that I really like corals more than the fish. the set up with the frag tank I was going to set it up with 2 power heads the skimmer and 15 lbs of live rock. Is that the best set up of should I some sort of other filtration or both.

new but handy
01-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi.
I'm fairly sure when you are cycling a new tank you should not do any water changes. The only thing that would accomplish is making the cycle take longer.
here read that.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrogencycle/f/blqawaterchange.htm

Jason McK
01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
So you are just setting up a tank for frags. you will not have fish or anything?

J

Snaz
01-11-2009, 05:34 PM
The same thread has been started in 3 forums... I'm sure between them all he will get some answers.

mtlmatt
01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Ya it's only frags maybe 1 fish.......

mtlmatt
01-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the link.