PDA

View Full Version : chiller pump stink

todd516
01-11-2009, 05:09 AM
I have a chiller that has its own temp controller and i have pluged my water pump into the same plug as the chiller. This way the pump only comes on when the chiller does, saves on power. The only problem is the chiller might not come on for days at a time and when it does the water stinks like my skimmer on a bad day. Is this water bad now that is just sitting and can it hurt my fish.

Johnny Reefer
01-11-2009, 05:32 AM
Yup.

untamed
01-11-2009, 05:36 AM
If that water is stagnant for too long it could be quite nasty when pumped into the tank.

For starters, you might calculate how much energy you are really saving by turning the pump off. I bet it is a very small $ and not worth the risk you are taking.

Another idea is to put that pump on a timer so that it at least goes on every now and then, regardless of what the chiller thinks. The chiller would still need to be able to run the pump when it wanted to. This would be easy with a controller, but difficult if you just have temp on/off control.

Finally, some pumps just don't like to be switched on and off like that. One day, they just don't come back on. They just work better when they are left to run.

chevyjaxon
01-11-2009, 08:23 AM
your making H2S (hydrogen sulfide) inside your chiller hence the rotten egg smell this occurs when water is left to sit with no oxygen for too long first your culturing anerobic bacteria (occurs when no oxygen is present) once the anerobic bacteria run out of food (nitrates) the culture then dies leaving behind H2S which in turn is highly toxic to both you and your fish if the culture were fed continuosly all that would be left is harmless nitrogen but how to use this to our advantage is an entirely different story so what i am saying is leave the pump on full time so the chiller can continuosly and accuratley monitor the temperature and turn the heater on an off as needed as well as chill the water when needed the pump keeps the water temperature monitored at all times inside the chiller by supplying the chiller with your current water temperature to turn the pump off is defeating the purpose of continuous temperature management:wink:

todd516
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the great info. I never thought of the water as being so bad for the fish and us. I might have to get a new chiller pump as the ps4 i have now heats the water up so much. Also the chiller has a temp probe that sits in my sump not in the chiller itself and my tank has never had a heater as it never goes below 78

chevyjaxon
01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
your welcome!