PDA

View Full Version : Reefers not using a controller...

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 02:19 AM
How are you doing it???

Mine fell into a bucket of saltwater and is busted. I really can't afford to replace it right now (although I may have to) and the thought of not using one seems scary!

I guess I can get light timers for the lights, have my fans come on with the lights (although I hate that idea...they should come on and off based on temperature, not light times)...

But what about monitoring PH, temperature, ect. ? Do you guys seriously do that like twice daily manually??? I can't imagine doing that! I check my Ph and temperature about 10 times a day on my controller...LOL

Just seems like this is the heart of the system and I have no idea what to do from here.

Any advice?

Aquattro
01-11-2009, 02:22 AM
My advice, stop worrying. I last checked pH around 2004, temp is good when I touch the glass and the lights are on timers with the fans. Easy.

Myka
01-11-2009, 02:24 AM
What he ^ said.

marie
01-11-2009, 02:25 AM
I don't have a controller and the last time I checked ph was like... 2 years ago maybe?
Temperature is checked everytime my hands go in the tank so every feeding time I guess. If it feels too warm I put a thermometer in to double check :mrgreen:

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 02:33 AM
Ok...maybe its possible then :smile:

I have had tanks without them of course but it just seems weird now not to use one after doing so for years.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 02:41 AM
WOW! Something went right today! Its working again!

I was sitting in front of the fire with it for the past hour or so and then thought I may as well keep trying...and now it works. I guess it just needed some lovin' after being soaked.

I thought it may be still a little wet and thats why I put it in front of the fire. Seemed to do the trick.

I am relieved.

my2rotties
01-11-2009, 02:42 AM
No seriously... I really didn't know there was options other then doing it myself...

More money to spend in my near future:wink:

Aquattro
01-11-2009, 02:43 AM
I just can't see checking pH ten times a day. That would last for about a day, then I'd feel I wasted money on a silly controller when I ould have bought more corals!
In 2004 I had a full time pH meter. Every day it said somewhere between 7.9 an 8.4. yup, right where I want it. If pH gets too far out of this range, you're going to know it by your corals behaviour.
Temp, same thing. Set your good quality heaters, check them monthly to ensure they're working, temp is going to stay stable.

Keri
01-11-2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah...once you have to actually start doing the tests manually I guarantee you won't be doing them 10x a day lol. I'm glad it's working again for you!!

JDigital
01-11-2009, 02:48 AM
I quit testing pH after 4-5 tank setups in this house... it has always been 8.3 on the button every test.. haha..

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 02:49 AM
I just can't see checking pH ten times a day. That would last for about a day, then I'd feel I wasted money on a silly controller when I ould have bought more corals!
In 2004 I had a full time pH meter. Every day it said somewhere between 7.9 an 8.4. yup, right where I want it. If pH gets too far out of this range, you're going to know it by your corals behaviour.
Temp, same thing. Set your good quality heaters, check them monthly to ensure they're working, temp is going to stay stable.

Thats where your wrong. If you have a controller its simple to check all the time. Its just habit. I see it from my couch. I don't purposely walk over and check it.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 02:53 AM
I quit testing pH after 4-5 tank setups in this house... it has always been 8.3 on the button every test.. haha..

Yup so is mine. Never leaves 8.2-8.5 but I like the fact that it will warn me if it does (alarm), or that if my tank ever overheats, it will warn me and start shutting off lights one at a time. Like that it turns my fans on and off and keeps the temperature right at 79-80.5, I like that turns some of my powerheads off at night. I like that it turns my pumps off at feeding time and if I forget to turn them back on it does it for me...and on and on.

IMO they are well worth the money and I still can't imagine not using one.

Mrfish55
01-11-2009, 02:59 AM
If it fell into saltwater you should dissasemble it and spray the circuits with a moisture inhibitor,circuit protector (available at electronics stores) or it will not stay working for long as there will be residual salts left on the board that will eat at it over time. I use the stuff at work on all electronics that are exposed to moisture and it makes a huge difference.

Aquattro
01-11-2009, 03:07 AM
Thats where your wrong. If you have a controller its simple to check all the time. Its just habit. I see it from my couch. I don't purposely walk over and check it.

My point is it's probably always the same. So why check? A healthy tank with happy corals always has proper pH. I see my corals from the couch, more enjoyable, to me, than a controller :)
Some people like the technology though, so fill yer boots!

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 03:07 AM
If it fell into saltwater you should dissasemble it and spray the circuits with a moisture inhibitor,circuit protector (available at electronics stores) or it will not stay working for long as there will be residual salts left on the board that will eat at it over time. I use the stuff at work on all electronics that are exposed to moisture and it makes a huge difference.

Ok, thanks. I did rinse it out with RO water but I will do that too.

moldrik
01-11-2009, 03:09 AM
Grats on getting it working again. Good to hear that something turned out ok.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 03:10 AM
My point is it's probably always the same. So why check? A healthy tank with happy corals always has proper pH. I see my corals from the couch, more enjoyable, to me, than a controller :)
Some people like the technology though, so fill yer boots!

Sure...cause I sit and watch the controller and not the corals :rolleyes:

I am not big into technology...I got my first computer about only about 4.5 or 5 years ago ;) Just like having the controller to make things easier. As I said, its not just for everyday stuff. I like that I would know right away if anything were wrong or starting to go wrong.

Aquattro
01-11-2009, 03:13 AM
Sure...cause I sit and watch the controller and not the corals :rolleyes:

I am not big into technology...I got my first computer about only about 4.5 or 5 years ago ;) Just like having the controller to make things easier. As I said, its not just for everyday stuff. I like that I would know right away if anything were wrong or starting to go wrong.

I'm not sayin' that you watch your controller more than corals, c'mon. I'm just saying it's really easy to run a tank without all the gadgets. Everyone does things differently, I personally couldn't fathom spending money on a controller, not saying it's bad or anything, just a matter of what's important to you. You stated that you couldn't imagine not using one, so I spoke up and said it's easy not to. That's all.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 03:37 AM
I'm not sayin' that you watch your controller more than corals, c'mon. I'm just saying it's really easy to run a tank without all the gadgets. Everyone does things differently, I personally couldn't fathom spending money on a controller, not saying it's bad or anything, just a matter of what's important to you. You stated that you couldn't imagine not using one, so I spoke up and said it's easy not to. That's all.

Your right fair enough...I probably took that the wrong way. Its been a long day.

don.ald
01-11-2009, 03:39 AM
what brand of controller?

How are you doing it???

Mine fell into a bucket of saltwater and is busted. I really can't afford to replace it right now (although I may have to) and the thought of not using one seems scary!

I guess I can get light timers for the lights, have my fans come on with the lights (although I hate that idea...they should come on and off based on temperature, not light times)...

But what about monitoring PH, temperature, ect. ? Do you guys seriously do that like twice daily manually??? I can't imagine doing that! I check my Ph and temperature about 10 times a day on my controller...LOL

Just seems like this is the heart of the system and I have no idea what to do from here.

Any advice?

Pan
01-11-2009, 03:41 AM

Pan
01-11-2009, 03:41 AM
WOW! Something went right today! Its working again!

I was sitting in front of the fire with it for the past hour or so and then thought I may as well keep trying...and now it works. I guess it just needed some lovin' after being soaked.

I thought it may be still a little wet and thats why I put it in front of the fire. Seemed to do the trick.

I am relieved.

you sat in front of the fire for an hour!!! shouldn't you have been checking your parameters :) j/k

Oh yeah i am glad your controller is working again....i want one simply because it is more convenient for certain things...looking at the RKL...but that is another story :)

Johnny Reefer
01-11-2009, 04:22 AM
.... Mine fell into a bucket of saltwater and is busted. ...
How does a multi-use controller fall into a bucket of saltwater? Aren't these things usually permanently mounted somewhere? Like under the stand :neutral:?

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Nevermind...I should just be quiet :)

untamed
01-11-2009, 05:32 AM
While I do happen to use my controller to monitor tank pH, I realize that this is largely unimportant. The key here is that the controller is just monitoring...not doing anything with the tank pH. It also monitors ORP, which is also meaninglessly interesting.

What I DO use the controller for is heater and pH control of my CA reactor. If not for the controller, I would be purchasing a temp controller and pH controller anyway because I can't imagine running a tank/Ca reactor without those two things. Heater thermostats are too unreliable.

Then...since the controller is there...I also use it to control dosing pumps on the CA reactor and Kalk reactors. It also controls the lighting cycle of the refugium.

Oh yes, It also text msgs me when any parameter goes beyond limits or a power failure happens. I can also make adjustments over the web to anything the controller has control over.

I couldn't run the tank without one. I learned that briefly when mine broke. Lesson learned, I now have a backup unit in case my unit fails again.

chevyjaxon
01-11-2009, 07:36 AM
While I do happen to use my controller to monitor tank pH, I realize that this is largely unimportant. The key here is that the controller is just monitoring...not doing anything with the tank pH. It also monitors ORP, which is also meaninglessly interesting.

What I DO use the controller for is heater and pH control of my CA reactor. If not for the controller, I would be purchasing a temp controller and pH controller anyway because I can't imagine running a tank/Ca reactor without those two things. Heater thermostats are too unreliable.

Then...since the controller is there...I also use it to control dosing pumps on the CA reactor and Kalk reactors. It also controls the lighting cycle of the refugium.

Oh yes, It also text msgs me when any parameter goes beyond limits or a power failure happens. I can also make adjustments over the web to anything the controller has control over.

I couldn't run the tank without one. I learned that briefly when mine broke. Lesson learned, I now have a backup unit in case my unit fails again.

ROFLMAO:lol: it text messages you?? does it cook dinner too? because if it does sign me up i want one I dont even have a cell phone and you bought one for your fish tank can the fish make phone calls too? maybe to let you know if their hungry, but seriously that is a real nice touch BTW who makes such a high tech gadget? :mrgreen:

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-11-2009, 09:04 AM
I have to admit that I was super frustrated when I posted about this. It had been a rough day so I think I was just angry at the world at that point :lol:

What I SHOULD have said was...I have used a controller for so long now that I hate the thought of going without one. Obviously I know its very possible to maintain a great, successful tank without one. I also know PH is largely unimportant to monitor in a stable system and rarely changes...mine has not changed more than .5 or so since I set up the tank but I do like to watch it each day. I like the idea that I have the monitor set up to let me know if that PH which doesn't fluctuate ever DOES. Instead of me finding out because my corals look terrible. I dose kalk in my auto top off and I have my controller set to turn OFF the ATO if the PH ever spikes too high. So all those disasters where people ATO gets stuck on and kills the tank, can be avoided with a simple controller. It saves me from having 8 different light timers in a powerbar for each of my lights. And so on and so on.

Before using one, I thought they were a waste of money but after using one, I would hate to run a tank without.

The temperature in my condo fluctuates a lot and the only way my tank stays between 79-80.5 is because my controller makes sure it does. Otherwise I have to rely on a heater that could get stuck on or fail. I don't want my fans on all the time, so the controller only turns them on when the temperature gets to 80.4, then off when it drops back to 79.1...my temperature has never gone below 79 or above 80.5. I recently set it up to dose my two part for me each day.

These are just things I don't want to have to think about all day. I like the convenience.

Doug
01-11-2009, 02:15 PM

One day when yer fancy smachy heater cooks yer tank, you will wish you at least had a temp. controller. :biggrin:

FWIW, my RK2 shows me my ph at a glance but I agree with you, big whoop-dee-do. :lol:

What I do like is the temp. controller, wave maker, feeding shut down, and a few other minor things. PH monitor is good when dosing kalk.

I guess I could just have something like a Ranco temp controller and that would be fine for me. If my fancy smanchy Ebo,s or any other heater out there, would not wander all over the place, perhaps one would not need one.

Aquattro
01-11-2009, 04:16 PM
One day when yer fancy smachy heater cooks yer tank, you will wish you at least had a temp. controller. :biggrin:

Yes, I realize a controller might help with this, unless the fancy schmancy controller is the piece that fails :)
I actually run 2 heaters, neither big enough to cook the tank should one stick on. If both stick on, it's a sign I should find a new hobby -lol

Doug
01-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes, I realize a controller might help with this, unless the fancy schmancy controller is the piece that fails :)
I actually run 2 heaters, neither big enough to cook the tank should one stick on. If both stick on, it's a sign I should find a new hobby -lol

:lol: Ya, my temp probe failed a couple months after I bought it. Actually increased the temp. If I had not been home.......GONZO. So I cant argue that point with you.

Problem with my stupid Ebo,s is trying to hold a constant temp. Sometime they dont come on when temp is well below setting and then they sometimes dont shut off when its above the setting. This is on all three of mine, which are all pretty new.

I also once bought a fancy smanchy titanium heater , controller and all. Geez, that worked well, for a year. LOL.

IF THEY WOULD SELL US SOMETHING THAT WORKED CORRECT, perhaps we would not need controllers. :lol:

All that being said, my RK2 is kind of wasting its talents on my nano, and if I could find a good heater, I would likely sell it. :smile:

Aquattro
01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
That's odd Doug. I have a Ti heater, and some glass thingy, both been working perfectly for about 4 or 5 years now.

untamed
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
ROFLMAO:lol: it text messages you?? does it cook dinner too? because if it does sign me up i want one I dont even have a cell phone and you bought one for your fish tank can the fish make phone calls too? maybe to let you know if their hungry, but seriously that is a real nice touch BTW who makes such a high tech gadget? :mrgreen:

No..it doesn't cook me dinner. Just standard Aquatronica options, really. FYI, I can also send a text msg to the aquarium asking for info and it will respond with a complete system status text msg.

TheMikey
01-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Wow! Them new-fangled controllers sure are interesting. I imagine if I ever got enough cash to seriously consider a larger tank (other than the 15G Nano) I would probably go all in and pick up the controller just to make life that extra bit easier.

That being said, I m lovin' my analog experience right now. Even the thermometer is one of those red alcohol doo-hickeys.

Best of luck with the long term success of you bathed unit!

banditpowdercoat
01-12-2009, 02:16 AM
That's odd Doug. I have a Ti heater, and some glass thingy, both been working perfectly for about 4 or 5 years now.

I got a Ti heater and a Aquamedic temp controller. and if the power blips, It sometimes sets itself fro 294C Allready cooked my Cleaner shrimp, frogspawn, Hammer, and a couple others. I have to constantly watch it. It bugs the heck out of me

chevyjaxon
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
No..it doesn't cook me dinner. Just standard Aquatronica options, really. FYI, I can also send a text msg to the aquarium asking for info and it will respond with a complete system status text msg.

where do you buy one and how much does it cost? sounds appealing:razz:

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
where do you buy one and how much does it cost? sounds appealing:razz:

Here is the controller and then you can add on all kinds of stuff from there.

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/593/Premium-System/

untamed
01-12-2009, 09:15 PM
OA website is a little light on the AQT accessories. For a complete list just check out AQT's website.

www.aquatronica.com

I don't own the Profilux, but I assume that it can do much of the same things if not more.