PDA

View Full Version : Hallide and Computer Fans

Oscar
01-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I just did my first change over on my DE hallide. The original bulb had turned a bit milky after 9 months. Is this milkiness a reasonable indicator to swap out the bulb?

I installed a Phoenix 150W 14,000K. It is a hugh blue shift compared to what I had although it really only appears to be bit bluer than white. This will hopefully help me with my hair algae issue.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````
I also had a look at the computer fan that is installed in the hood. It is a Sunon Maglev fan. I could not quite find the exact model number on the Sunon website but it is a 0.7W fan and pushes ~7 CFM. I removed a couple of knockout plugs on the hood which should increase air flow by ~20%.

I would like to get a higher capacity computer fan say in the range of 10 CFM. Any recommendations?

hillegom
01-11-2009, 12:37 AM
If you get to Kelowna, princess auto has a lot of used comp fans and others. You should be able to find a replacement or a bigger one there

chandigz
01-11-2009, 02:12 AM
I love the phoenix 14000k, great colour and growth. I switched about 4 months ago and will probably stick with them. The white haze when the bulbs are cool is normal. the longer they are used the haze will start turning grey to black.

mseepman
01-11-2009, 02:30 AM
In regards to fans...I did my nano tanks fan bank out of Princess Auto fans but have not been happy with the noise.

As far as a good replacement fan, it really depends on your room. Do you know how big the current fan is? I suspect 40mm or so but you should measure so that you can see what else is out there. www.ncix.com is a great site for low cost computer parts. I would try there once you know what size you have already.

Oscar
01-11-2009, 03:06 PM
In regards to fans...I did my nano tanks fan bank out of Princess Auto fans but have not been happy with the noise.

As far as a good replacement fan, it really depends on your room. Do you know how big the current fan is? I suspect 40mm or so but you should measure so that you can see what else is out there. www.ncix.com is a great site for low cost computer parts. I would try there once you know what size you have already.

The current fan is 60mm but only about 15mm deep and is rated ~20db. Most higher capacity fans seem to be 25mm deep. So I will have to remeasure to see if I can fit a 25mm in. Thanks for the link.

Oscar
01-11-2009, 03:08 PM
I love the phoenix 14000k, great colour and growth. I switched about 4 months ago and will probably stick with them. The white haze when the bulbs are cool is normal. the longer they are used the haze will start turning grey to black.

Are you running T5s as well? If so what colour?