PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove Question

EmilyB
05-19-2003, 01:49 AM
My mangroves are losing most of their leaves. They do seem to all have a new green shoot in the middle. They are not under any direct MH, just off to the side with some supplemental NO, and I am spritzing them.

I know the leaves are not the most important part, the roots in fact have grown.

So, is everthing okay ? If mangroves need light, but the roots are more important than the leaves....can I just submerge, plant them? :confused:

sumpfinfishe
05-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Hi Deb, I have had my mangrove for two months now. It's planted in my sand bed, which means it's fully submersed. I have read that mangroves can grow well under the water surface too. In the wild there is always mangroves growing beside rivers, and there is always the same plants growing under the water too.

As for the leaves, I wouldn't worry too much yet- as everytime I loose two leaves on my plant another two shoots are just behind-ready to open once the more mature ones die off. JMO

cheers, Rich

eposer
05-21-2003, 11:23 PM
It is fairly common for mangroves to lose their leaves after periods of stress(shipping, temp & salinity changes). New leaves should grow where you see the green spike in the middle. If you have any problems with them not recovering in the next week or two let me know. Adding a little iron supplement to the water will help get them back on their feet, er roots...

Evan.

Hark
05-22-2003, 11:46 AM
Can you grow mangroves with a CC bed the same as you can with a pure sand bed?