PDA

View Full Version : Fish for a 90 gallon

Floop70
01-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I'll be upgrading to a 90 gallon tank later this year and am just starting to think of what I want to put in it. I really think I like the looks of triggers and puffers and I understand they both have quite the personalities. Here's the first list of what I think I'd like:

Niger Trigger
Humu Picasso Trigger
Foxface Lo
Volitan Lionfish
Couple puffers - suggestions???

For all I know, I'm out to lunch and can't keep these together, but that's why I'm asking.

dsaundry
01-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Triggers should be ok but you have to watch them, if they decide to fight ..look out. Lionfish should be ok so long as nothing you have fits in his mouth...The puffers imo you would have to watch as some of them fight as well. How much rock is going to be in tank..The more rock you have..the better, that way they can find their own turf..and have a place to hide.Foxface is pretty compatible with everything on your list too...
You also have to think about a clean-up crew..Most snails and shrimp are out as the Trigger's will gobble them up...I have been told the Triggers will also take out urchins but I have 2 in my 90g. a pencil and a long spine and so far so good. Maybe a cucumber, I have one in mine as well.

lammarkk
02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
grouper and lionfish?
since you are planning to get a predator tank:biggrin:

Rbacchiega
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
grouper and lionfish?
since you are planning to get a predator tank:biggrin:

Most Groupers get way too big for a 90 gallon.

I suggest you actually try to narrow it down a bit. That's quite a few fish for a 90 considering the size that some of them get and the ammount of bioload they'll be producing. Voltains get big. When I had one I ended up moving everything else out of my 90 in order to give it more room.

A mixed trigger tank would be nice. Provide lots of rockwork and make sure everyone is well fed and you should be fine.

BlueAbyss
02-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Most Groupers get way too big for a 90 gallon.

I suggest you actually try to narrow it down a bit. That's quite a few fish for a 90 considering the size that some of them get and the ammount of bioload they'll be producing. Voltains get big. When I had one I ended up moving everything else out of my 90 in order to give it more room.

A mixed trigger tank would be nice. Provide lots of rockwork and make sure everyone is well fed and you should be fine.

+1 on the Groupers, +1 on less (BIG!) fish in a 90 gallon. Volitans get to 14" man, plus those long spines...

+1 on a mixed trigger tank! Triggers are sooo cool, it would be nice to see someone devote a tank to them.

Sushiman
02-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Only problem I see other than mixing triggers is the lack of available real estate. 90gal is just too small for that many BIG fish. Go with less is more, you will need a NASA class filtration system otherwise. Puffers get HUGE & are the messiest little !@#$$!ers. I've seen them basketball sized while diving.
Luck :wink:

pezblanco
02-18-2009, 03:36 AM
Valentini puffers are nice and generally nicer than others to your crabs and snails...although it's on a fish by fish personality basis. They also like to jump out of tanks so keep a lid on it.