PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Tap Water TDS

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I just bought a meter and tested it...10ppm. If its already this low, why do we even need the DI resin? I was running my RO without the DI last night and coming out the water was 0ppm. I am going to use it anyways but seems almost pointless.

I am impressed at how good our tap water is. I had heard it was low TDS but didn't think 10.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Actually here is an even better question. I started using the DI this morning and just tested the TDS of that water and its 25ppm!!! Why would it be 10 going in, 0 after the RO membrane and then 25 after the DI?

i have crabs
01-09-2009, 08:29 PM
if any of the cartridges are new let them run for a bit then test the water
from what i remember the vancouver area does have a very low tds in the water compared to most places

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
if any of the cartridges are new let them run for a bit then test the water
from what i remember the vancouver area does have a very low tds in the water compared to most places

Yeah I heard between 15-20 but I wasn't expecting 10. Although one of the J&L employees told me today that they test it and its always around 11ppm.

untamed
01-09-2009, 08:58 PM
In Coquitlam, TDS is frequently lower than 10.

awa1979
01-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm not in Vancouver but Chilliwack and out of the tap the TDS is between 30-40.

Once through the R/O it reads 0 so I don't use the DI, seems to be a waste of money if I can get a TDS of 0 without it.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm not in Vancouver but Chilliwack and out of the tap the TDS is between 30-40.

Once through the R/O it reads 0 so I don't use the DI, seems to be a waste of money if I can get a TDS of 0 without it.

Yeah thats what I was kind of thinking. Im getting 0 from just the RO, os why do I need the DI? Heck at 10ppm, I barely feel I need the RO! Of course it gets rid of chlorine and all kind of other stuff but I never realized how good Vancouver water was. Especially downtown, I thought it would be a little worse.

fkshiu
01-09-2009, 09:35 PM
DI in Vancouver is for those days when TDS goes up a bit like after a bad rain storm or when a crew is mucking about outside. I've always believed that RO/DI (in Vancouver at least) is more for CONSISTENCY rather than QUALITY.

If the TDS is zero after your RO then it simply means your DI will last longer. It won't "go bad" simply by sitting there. It will, however, be ready for those times when the RO doesn't get everything.

On a related note, I remember going into OA many moons ago and speaking to Wendell about all those DI canisters he had coming out of his bathroom plumbing. Where was the RO? He told me that DI was all they used because it lasted so long on Vancouver water. I know he has now added RO, but bulk DI in Vancouver can go a long way.

Snaz
01-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I would have thought the reading would be much higher than that. With all of the rain and snow run off the water tends to get turbid. Coquitlam has "coloured" water right now but safe to drink still.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-09-2009, 09:52 PM
DI in Vancouver is for those days when TDS goes up a bit like after a bad rain storm or when a crew is mucking about outside. I've always believed that RO/DI (in Vancouver at least) is more for CONSISTENCY rather than QUALITY.

If the TDS is zero after your RO then it simply means your DI is last longer. It won't "go bad" simply by sitting there. It will, however, be ready for those times when the RO doesn't get everything.

On a related note, I remember going into OA many moons ago and speaking to Wendell about all those DI canisters he had coming out of his bathroom plumbing. Where was the RO? He told me that DI was all they used because it lasted so long on Vancouver water. I know he has now added RO, but bulk DI in Vancouver can go a long way.

Good point yeah. I am going to leave it hooked up anyways but I just found it interesting.

Especially after all the bad weather we have had lately.